Thermal store or not?

Thank you for all the replies, although much of them appear to have gone off topic and more to do with personal grudges.

Anyway, the way I see it is that a Thermal store is really only beneficial if you have multiple heat sources - I DON'T.

I am very happy to continue using my 200 litre electric mains pressure water heater for my DHW, which cost less than 1 euro per night to heat up.

All I want is to distribute heat from the stove into some radiators.

So, bearing all that in mind why can't I simply use 2 diagonal tappings on the stove and plumb them directly into a radiator circuit? If that CAN be done then is it worth using a Laddomat to prevent the cold return being too cold, already has a pump to circulate the heat and it will also allow self-circulation in the event of a power cut? Here is a sketch of the proposed radiator layout, but I'm not sure how the heatleak radiator should be plumbed in relation to the Laddomat.

//media.diynot.com/190000_189871_48432_32472503_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/190000_189871_48431_12786591_thumb.jpg

A couple of things to note....
1) The heatleak rad is located in the opposite direction to the main CH radiators. Will that matter?
2) There will have to be 2 short (50cm) horizontal runs to the heatleak as the pipework has to run through stone walls.
3) The metal F & E tank cannot be sited directly above the stove but will be in fact 6metres horizontally from it but obviously at the highest point in the house. Schematics always show the F&E directly above the stove, but as long as it is within the primary pipework should that matter?
4) Should I use gradually decreasing pipe sizes the further I get from the heat source. e.g the furthest rads to have a 14mm run, working back to 16mm, 22mm and eventually the 28mm primary run to and from the stove?

Thank you in anticipation of helpful replies!!

Sponsored Links
You won't need a laddomat.
Just fit hi-lo stats with an injector T. Lo stat set to turn pump off@ 45c and Hi stat set to turn pump on @ about 85c, wired in series so both stats control both on and off at either end of the scale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back