Woodburner pipe connections

Mmm, funny should say that. My bender is a toy one from Toolstation, no adjustment required.
On my toy for 22mm the roller is 40mm from bottom of form, thinnest part of die is 18mm, no adjustment so this looks like a plan.
This hired one looks like a Record 35, i've set the end hook so tube is level in the form, i've set the roller so clearance from bottom of form to roller is 44 mm (thinnest point of die is 16mm, tube is 28mm). Is that anywhere near? (Had a good search on here and Youtube for setup clues, no joy. No guide marks on the side of the roller carriage, Jewson instruction sheet says put the right size form & die in and bend away. Ta

I take it that you are pulling the bends up and not downwards, put the hook/stop in the third hole down for 28mm, (the first one's for 15mm) slide the pipe in, it should be running down away from the back of the bender, slide the guide in and rotate the handle until the wheel bites on the guide but not too tight, then pull away.

Sponsored Links
Yeah thats why i wasn't sure if it was a silly question, i'm not sure what sort of temperatures the metal of the waterjacket on a woodburner gets up to. All the rest of the connections will get ptfe/boss white where needed (the thermal store won't go above 95, if it does the overtemp valve will vent).
I hope you mean the open vent.

I hope you mean the open vent.
Oh yes it is open vent, spec required an overtemp valve at the top of the cylinder as well (so if it gets stupid hot that valve opens, drains hot away to waste, cylinder replenished from header which replenishes from cold supply. Not a pressurised system :)

I take it that you are pulling the bends up and not downwards, put the hook/stop in the third hole down for 28mm, (the first one's for 15mm) slide the pipe in, it should be running down away from the back of the bender, slide the guide in and rotate the handle until the wheel bites on the guide but not too tight, then pull away.
Maybe not a Record 35 then, this thing reckons it bends from 12 to 35mm, i've got forms for 15,22 and 28.
Hook has 5 holes. Option 4 looks the closest but it doesn't look right.
3rd hole
IMG_20200729_172748533.jpg
4th hole
IMG_20200729_172723969.jpg
5th hole
IMG_20200729_172700863.jpg
The roller only has 4 hole stops and a bolt for adjust, got it set pretty much as your description. If it was 22 i was playing with i've got enough scrap bits to experiment, 28mm is a bit precious for that.
And no this one bends down

Sponsored Links
Arr, i was looking at the thing & pondering that solution.
Another little foible with this thing, the roller height adjust is not parallel to the lever. Should the roller be in the middle (my bet looking at my toy one) or leading the lever or trailing the lever?2020-07-29 18.16.42.jpg
Again tia

Ta. Just about to do a proper bend (80 degrees), done several 20 deg offsets & they"re getting better but still not nice and smooth. See what happens with this one.... :)

Well that didn't go well. I can feel Plan B coming on (unless anyone can look at that piece of scrap & tell me where i went wrong :(
2020-07-29 19.39.02.jpg 2020-07-29 19.39.38.jpg

And now i'm very confused- the form looks symmetrical but obviously it isn't (the stamping where it says 28mm was upside down so swapped it round, pulled another one from the bottom and hurrah!
2020-07-29 20.48.36.jpg
Trouble is i'm now going to spend all night wondering whether to redo all the jogs (= scrapping 3m of tube). At about £6 a metre.... I think i probably will, the smooth bends look sooo nice (and the kinks will be bad for flow in a gravity assisted circuit).
Ta for assistance @JimCrow @muggles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back