Woodburner - plastering over chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's house, where the previous owners have removed all the plaster from the chimney breast, then painted the brick with silk emulsion (?). They have then installed a woodburner, which is half in and half out of the fireplace.
I'd like to re-plaster the chimney breast, but my sources tell me that you can't get a good key onto painted brick, and that the considerable heat rising from the woodburner will damage skim coat/plasterboard.
All suggestions gratefully received: painted brickwork in a 1930's house looks odd: it's not a stonebuilt cottage.

Sponsored Links
I’ve not done anything quiet like this before & it’s why I didn’t initially respond but as you’ve got no other takers then this is what I think;

I would be unhappy using D&D plaster board in such a location. Silk emulsion can be a pig; what I do on ordinary walls (i.e. not over a wood burner!) is to thoroughly score the paint right back to the plaster (or in your case brickwork) using an old scraper or trowel; use criss-cross diagonal slashes around 30mm apart & then go over the whole area with a very stiff wire brush. I would normally then use a PVA bonding strength coat & let dry over at least 24 hours, then PVA & skim; I’ve never used it but in your case I would suggest something like this instead:

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...le_plaster_bonding_agents/thistlebond-it.aspx

I would then apply a Bonding plaster base coat & then skim; these plasters can withstand temperatures of a normal chimney breast (up to 49 degrees) but you say your fire is half in half out so the temperature may be higher in the immediate adjacent area. I would suggest you measure the temperature of the brickwork around the fire with a thermometer before going ahead.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back