Woodburner Strong Odour While Not In Use - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had two burners installed earlier this year, both with flexible liners.

Occasionally we come home to find the whole downstairs smelling strongly of an odour which can only be described as a mixture of woodsmoke and something else. Very noticeable yesterday after the ambient temperature picked up. Burners have not been used for a couple of months or more.

My guess is that the cowls on top of the chimney stack are heating up in the strong sunlight, then the flexible liners are heating up and hence down to the the stoves.

It's of some concern as unsure if these 'fumes' could be dangerous.

I guess the thing to do is contact the installer but wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this?

Sorry if this posting is under wrong the catergory..

Sponsored Links
are you sure it isn't soot falling down the chimney? Birds can cause this.

in warm weather, there tends to be a convection of air up the chimney which would carry odour out of the house rather than in. Might it depend on wind direction?

Extract fan?
Upstairs windows open?
House gets hot from sunshine, the warmed air rises through the house and out the open windows; make up air comes down chimney, bringing odours?

Any fixed ventilation for the stoves?

Sponsored Links
It's normally caused by cold air coming down the liner entering the room, bringing all the smells with it. Mostly on cold days/nights, obviously when not in use.

I have rolled up newspaper/towel pushed in the bottom of the flue. Have to get hands dirty and remove top baffle plate to do so. Also have to remember to take it out when winter use starts again :eek:

Just make sure you leave enough ventilation for the stove to dry out from any condensation, they tend to rust out otherwise.

Is it in a new - ish air tight gaff - or a gale through rattling sashes healthy house ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back