Cost of Flue Installation for Woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we have been quoted £1500 for the installation of two flexible flues for a single chimney which splits into two separate fireplaces. does this sound reasonable?

we have also been advised that it's not worth spending less than 500-600 on a woodburner? does that mean that all the £250 burners out there are rubbish?

i have seen some steel stoves on ebay which look good and apparently give out more heat than the equivalent cast iron stove? does anyone know if these are any good or should you always install a cast iron burner?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Would you fancy an open fire woodburner - like a convector box . There may be one listed in a couple of weeks ;) probably starting @ 99p.

Not an expert on these things, but my dad has just had his 4 floor height chimney lined for his woodburner, and it cost £300 for the whole thing

hi

we have been quoted £1500 for the installation of two flexible flues for a single chimney which splits into two separate fireplaces. does this sound reasonable?

we have also been advised that it's not worth spending less than 500-600 on a woodburner? does that mean that all the £250 burners out there are rubbish?

i have seen some steel stoves on ebay which look good and apparently give out more heat than the equivalent cast iron stove? does anyone know if these are any good or should you always install a cast iron burner?

thanks

Sounds cheap for twin wall flexible rated for solid fuel. You're aware that the flexible flue liner is listed as a temporary chimney repair? If you burn inadequately seasoned timber (as people do) , they can tar up in a matter of months. If it fails within the warranty period, the manufacturers will take samples to ensure only approved fuels have been used. Look at the other flue lining systems listed by Heatas.

If the appliance isn't listed in the Heatas guide, then it shouldn't be fitted.
http://www.hetas.co.uk/public/hetas_guide.html

Solid fuel fires work by generating toxic gases (CO, amongst others) in huge concentration and it is these that are burnt. You don't want a cheapo, dodgy burner sharing your living space. You can shove those E-bay ones right up your flue pipe.

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry for the delay responding

Sneaks - do you mean a stainless steel liner for £300? That sounds like a bargain compared with other quotes (£1000 seems to be the norm). Tell me more!..

Ontap - I didn't realise a flexible pipe was deemed as a temporary solution. I guess the only other solution is to have the chimney innards properly lined for the price of a kings ransom.

Another line of thought now is whether to only install one flue and one woodburner, not in both downstairs rooms, and in doing so, whether a 5kw stove would punch out enough heat to warm at least the downstairs area if the doors to the other room and the kitchen are left open?

Thanks chaps

When the wood burner has been stoaked up for an overnight tick over burn the levels of Carbon Monoxide meandering up the flue are very high.

So high that were you trying to walk up your stairs, to rescue your kids in a similar concentration of CO, you probably would collapse on the way up and die shortly afterwards.

Not trying to be alarmist but for goodness sake get a proper flue sorted, funerals are expensive, good quality flue’s are less expensive.

Tim

PS cant help on stoves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back