Opening up a fireplace for Inset Woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have an working open fireplace which I'm looking to upgrade to accept an Inset woodburning stove ( less mess, more efficient ).
The reason why i'm opting for an inset stove is that I shouldn't need to install a flue liner which would significantly add to the cost of the project.

The fireplace is a standard 600 x 400mm opening with a concrete fireback installed. Because of the tapered profile of the fireback, it will need to be removed to accept the woodburner.

Once the fireback is removed, would I need to line the exposed brickwork before installing the woodburner, or could I leave it as-is?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert at all, but I'm a little confused as to why you have the idea that a stove being inset would make a difference to the need for a flue liner.

Stephen,

Inset stoves are designed to work with or without a chimney liner. They don't need flue liners if the chimney is in good condition and doesn't leak fumes into the house.

Stephen,

Inset stoves are designed to work with or without a chimney liner. They don't need flue liners if the chimney is in good condition and doesn't leak fumes into the house.
I live and learn, cheers, Stephen

Sponsored Links
Terry,

After reading the all the spiel online, with an Inset stove there is a choice depending on the condition of the existing chimney and on whether it passes the smoke & draw tests, in which case it is a recommendation rather than mandatory.
Many Inset stoves are designed specifically to fit inside the existing chair brick and which marry up with the throat of the chimney.

Last edited:
Terry,

After reading the all the spiel online, with an Inset stove there is a choice depending on the condition of the existing chimney and on whether it passes the smoke & draw tests.
Yes - though it's not generally recommended, and is also true with other woodburners (we've recently had one installed with a flue, one without, by the same hetas burnergeezerman)

Liners are not mandatory if the stack is in good condition, if it's in poor condition you have no choice.

A liner can improve the efficiency of the stove by improving the draw of the flue and reducing heat lost to the stack itself especially if the stack is insulated around the liner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back