Woodburning Stove removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Esse 350 inset woodburning stove and are planning on removing it to fit a freestanding stove.
Question is how do I remove it?
I had one 'installer' round who admitted he'd never worked with an inset stove and thought I'd have to remove/smash the wall above the stove to access the connection to the liner! The wall surrounding the stove is covered with 3/4" slate so maybe this was fitted, post-install to hide any wall damage?
Looking at the Esse fitting instructions it states the adapter to the liner is screwed from inside the stove. I've looked and there's no screws holding anything in place!
The stove does seem fairly loose and feels like I could maybe pull it out. I'm just worried that I might drag the liner out of the chimney doing this.
Any help much appreciated...

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Inset stoves are usually fitted for a reason, when space, height of flue etc are an issue. If you haven't already, I would look at what free standing stoves are likely to couple to the flue without doing any damage .
The flue will be set back in the wall so unless you break out higher you'll have to use the stoves rear outlet to connect which could limit your choice. A freestanding stove also requires a minimum 840x840 hearth.

Last edited:
I'm just worried that I might drag the liner out of the chimney doing this.
So much the better. The regs say you can't re-use an existing liner when fitting a new appliance, the liner must be replaced

Sponsored Links
So much the better. The regs say you can't re-use an existing liner when fitting a new appliance, the liner must be replaced

Is that definitely the case?
I've read the following regs "If a chimney has been relined in the past using a metal lining system and the appliance is being replaced, the metal liner should also be replaced unless the metal liner can be proven to be recently installed and can be seen to be in good condition"
The liner was only installed a little over a year ago so I guess I'll be OK???

Thanks for this..
I've seen a similar manual. Both say the adapter would be screwed to the stove from the inside... Mine doesn't seem to be as I can't see any screws inside... Bugger

If it's on an outside wall, maybe you could open up the wall to access the liner connection and any anchoring straps. Not as daft as it sounds as that's how my inset model was installed - open exterior wall, install fire, fit liner and anchor straps, close wall.

Have you removed the baffle above the firebox and scrubbed the roof of stove around the flue opening with a wire brush in case the screws are countersunk in?

Have you removed the baffle above the firebox and scrubbed the roof of stove around the flue opening with a wire brush in case the screws are countersunk in?
I have removed the baffle, yes. There's no screws I'm afraid. Clearly just some thru holes... Ah well...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back