Wooden Bay, similar depth to window - Window Board fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having two bay windows replaced soon. The bays are timber construction, and not very deep. The existing window boards just PVC, glued to the window frame, and not resting on any wall at all in one room. In the other, more or less the same, but maybe 10mm or so of overlap.

I'm going to fit my own window boards on the new windows, and it's straightforward enough on the brick walls, but I'm a bit puzzled what to do on these shallow bays.

I will be using wood, so can't just glue it to the window. On the shallow bays I suppose it will be like a shelf, and will need brackets. Seems odd though - I don't recall ever seeing something like that before.

But then I thought, maybe I don't need a window board at all? Is there any good reason to keep one? If it's more or less flush, I could just cover up the gap with a molding, or even get the installers to do it with a bit of PVC?

Does the window board do more than simply finish off the window?

Sponsored Links
How deep are your existing windows? assuming they are the old style being 95mm deep and being replaced with 70mm PVC that are usually fitted to the outside on bays. You could end up with an extra 25-30mm or so of exposed brickwork to fix to.

Chuck the fitter £50 to fitter the window boards, what company have you got in? I may know the fitter :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's Hi Tech.

I didn't go for their window boards, as they are like kitchen worktops. Chipboard with white melamine.

Haven't measured the window depth yet, as I've been working away, btu I'll be taking a look over the weekend.

Leon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back