Wooden Fascia Treatment.?.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was planning to use the full weathershield system to repaint my fascia boards... however.

I stripped the old paint off which had a flaking top coat. I found that the whole system was extremely thick 1-2mm and would not pull off using a scraper (like most will if your determined). Very hard. When I heated it with a heat gun the bottom layer boiled and then the whole lot peeled off to reveal spanking perfect facia underneath. Judging by the timber grain knots etc I'd say it's original. (Since wood like that ain't in the shops anywhere these days.)

I want some guesses as to what it was? Because the neighbour says she's never seen anyone in 35 years (they have been there) touch the fascias on my house! (They don't go on holiday either, but that's another story.)

I reckon it's either lead based or tar / bitumen based - but never having used a heat gun before I haven't a clue. Interestingly the same was true of a gable window frame in the room which is also original - but surrounds to it had been replaced and painted with something thin and rubbish, which was a pain to remove even with heating and scraping.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back