Wooden fence posts near soakaways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks,

I am planning on building a 12 panel solar stand at the bottom of the garden using 100x100 x 2.7 treated posts.

I have 3 septic tanks in the neighbour's garden which then discharge along the bottom of mine with through a series of pipes and 3 soakaways the final 4th soakaway about 2m from where I want to put my array. At times like this (Jan/Feb) there is standing water on the grass and it runs into a small stream (All fully permissioned up!)

Three Options:

One:
Would a treated pole, the last 1.2m drowned in bitumen, sunk 700 deep into a 500mm diameter hole with 100mm of gravel as a base and a concrete brought around 150mm aboveground level survive the moisture?​

Two:
Build a raised concrete slab (or slabs to allow for movement) and flush-mount them on that (not as strong).
Three:
As per option 1 but use concrete spurs to start. Should I cross-drill the base a couple of times and put rebar in to help anchor them?​

• 12 panels will weigh roughly 150kg all-in.
  • Wind loading will be low as they will back onto a very thick, tall hedge (panels facing east, hedge runs east/west
  • Panel height is 150cm so will sit around 2.2 - 2.4 high when installed. I could get away with 1.8 if I needed to.
  • Open farmer's field behind me so unlikely to get a complaint (I know him in the pub)
  • Not visible from public road or path so again, low complaint factor.

Image below of what I want to do.

panel-rack.jpg

Sponsored Links
Concrete spurs, maybe doubled up i.e one each side, buried deep enough concreted in and through bolted, no need for rebar the spurs are reinforced.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back