Wooden windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wooden windows (6 panes) in an old house and notice that a couple are rotten in the corner where the previous owner hasn't looked after them. I think they're too bad to repair and can't seem to find replacement ones. The frames are fine, I just need to replace the windows if that makes sense. Can anyone guide me to the right place please?

Sponsored Links
You mean the frames are fine but its the sashes that are rotten? Sounds like you need a local joiner with a joinery workshop to make you some replacement sashes copying your old ones of course

The windows aren't sashes but I get the gist :) I'll try and find a local joiner. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Dont think there sash windows, but you can have new casements made by a joiner as I say. I would say you would be unlikely to find the origanal manufacture, or for them to be a standard size, hence my suggestion.

They will proberbly ship them with a coat of primer, or a single coat of something, usually spraied on proir to the glass going in, but you either need to have paint them fully, or add attitional coats yourself, which if your doing it at this time of year I would do inside before fitting them.

Daniel

When I said sashes I meant casements too, it's just my terminology was different to yours, I figured they weren't sliding sashes

Thank you all for your responses. Going to see if a local joiner can repair or replace.

Thank you all for your responses. Going to see if a local joiner can repair or replace.
A further note on wooden windows, atleast my thoughts on them, which is that in the real world, they dont need to be perfect.

I'm worse than most it it and im not saying they don't need work, they probably do, but in terms of repairing/replacing them, if they are a bit soft in the corners and round the bottom, and you can take the casement off, cut some rot out, treat the remaining wood, splice a new bit in, bit of filler, two-three coats of paint, and get another 4-5 years out of them for a sensible price, then you have got another four to five more years out of them. You average window, wood/upvc/aluminium only lasts 20-30 years. Obviously if they are more far gone, a whole new casement to repair the remaining window is the way to go, but you are certainly right not to rip out a perfectly good frame for the same for a few castments, and there is no reason why a good joiner cant match them well enough to not notice.

Windows need to
- Keep the wind and rain out of the house and prevent people getting into the house when the doors locked
- Look ok from the inside and outside, bearing in mind your going not going to viewing the outside of the 1st floor from 3feet.
- Thats about it!

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back