Woodworm in exposed beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Looking for some advice please.

I have woodworm in the exposed beams in my cottage. There is chew mark and timber dust coming from them. I thought it was historic but the woodworm seems to be very active still. Its mega stressing me out as I don't want it getting in my furniture.

Whats the best cause of action? Sand the vanish off the beams, then treat with a woodworm chemical? Is it worth filling in the exit holes with bees wax?

I know woodworm can die off naturally if the timber can dry out ..but I live in a damp house with no central heating :(.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Flood the timbers with woodworm treatment, get enough soaked in and they cannot survive.

Beetles still emerge after treatment, so holes will still appear. The chemical will stop the next batch of larvae.

Sponsored Links
how do you flood a ceiling beam? surely it will run off?
Multiple brush strokes, keep adding and move along the beam, the kerosine carrier does keep soaking in if you give it a chance.

Use sovereign 'Sovaq' - it is aqueous based so doesn't smell so strong. There is a guide sheet on the web site. When applying you will need to wear protective clothing and ideally a full face mask - one that is rated at FFP3 is my recommendation.

I've used spirit and water based WW killers in the past; I'd not use spirit based inside ever again - the fumes are not good.

Was the house unheated for a significant period of time?

Please excuse my ignorance, I had thought that woodworm in centrally heated homes in the UK was pretty rare. I am happy to be corrected though.

Please excuse my ignorance, I had thought that woodworm in centrally heated homes in the UK was pretty rare.
It is (pretty rare), although it is still possible to bring larvae in within both untreated antique furniture and poorly kilned new materials (I have had it with wooden planes meaning that anything remotely suspect goes through the microwave). Frass indicates fresh infestation, but as @^woody^ says, treatment only deals with the next batch. There is a need to break the life cycle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back