Woodworm problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a wooden directors chair in a skip and took it home. It ended up in the garden shed for a few weeks and then as I still needed to get a back for it I stuck it in the attic.

As I was walking past it (the attic is boarded out) I noticed a small pile of sawdust and when I looked closely it started from a small hole in the chair. Then I noticed similar at the back.

I can't see any other cause than some sort of pest. Does this mean I have to take steps to check for woodworm etc? I've stuck the chair outside in the mean time!

Sponsored Links
The beetles have already flown and laid hundreds if not thousands of eggs in your home which will pupate into worm larvae and drill holes in your timber for the next 4 years.

It's the common furniture beetle. They fly all over the place once they hatch. I wouldn't worry too much about it. few survive to reproduce.

Cheers Joe,

I did google it after I posted and have already returned the chair to the attic!

But many thanks for your trouble.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that chair wouldn't be going back into my attic.....old furniture is often riddled with the furniture beetle.
One good thing, they don't like tanalised timber or man made products.
I wouldn't panic though, but do observe that chair!
John :)

even after treatment they can still migrate out of the timber for a few life cycles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back