Woodworm in oak bed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone can help. Last week we were in bed and heard a funny scratching and gnawing sound. At first I thought it was a mouse but then after a minute it went silent. Heard nothing again. Then on Saturday I was hoovering and saw on our wooden floor some sawdust and above the pile on one of the bed legs a hole of about 7mm. We only purchased the oak bedframe along with some other oak furniture from an Internet furniture company in Jan. I can only find one hole at the moment. I am presuming this is woodworm? Could it be a one off or is it likely there's lots of them within the frame ready to come out? It seems strange we only have one hole and a bigger one than most beetles create. My whole bedroom is full of oak from the floor to the furniture so I am really worried. We have contacted the company but no response as yet. Any advice on what it could be if not woodworm and what we cam soto stop it spreading? I have treated the whole with woodworm treating from b and q but that won't stop it spreading to wood throughout the house.

Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think you can hear all woodworm, but you can definitely hear the Deathwatch Beetles mating call at this time of year. It likes oak and other hardwoods and is pretty common in the UK.
Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it may already be in the other furniture/flooring in your house and has taken a fancy to the bed, or indeed came with the new furniture. :confused:

http://www.ruddersandpaynes.co.uk/deathwatpro.html

Not sure about treatments for it, sorry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back