Woodworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive discovered woodworm rot in my floorboards and also some in the loft. I live in a bungalow. I am worried
How is the best way to eradicate. There are small pockets.........
Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
I have been reliably informed that woodworm is almost non existent in dry homes with central heating.

The larvae require cool damp environments. You may have holes in the woodwork but if yours is an older property these are likely to be old woodworm holes and the woodworm are no longer present. The older properties suffer from them because they were built without effective central heating and the wood could remain damp and cool for extended periods of time.

the link posted is from a Chemical company who have a vested interest in propagating the woodworm myth. Get a good carpenter to look at it first.

i took have fallne for the "bugger - woodworm!".

we got terminix (?) in at a cost near £1K. as the house had apparrant major rot in the timbers, although not visible. What was visible was the window baords had been knawed to bits, but probably 60 years ago!

I've since found out that they only like new wood, not old stuff, even though we had an (indpendant) assessment by the compnay and they claimed that the 80 year old house had new and active infestation.

Sponsored Links
Like I said - woodworm is very rare in this day and age. Any house with half decent central heating is extremely unlikely to have any sort of infestation.

Thats not to say that wood may have been wekened by extensive boring in the past - which is why i would recommend getting a good carpenter to take a look.

Aaront

I think you are right. My bungalow was built in the 60's. It does have central heating which was put in much later. The woodworm holes were mainly in the shed and garage, ( not heated) The shed attached to the garage has been demolished and all the wood burnt.

In the main house I am doing up the living room. The only rot I have seen is on one corner of the porch which is exposed to damp and cold from outside.

I have to replace maybe one piece of wood and also seal this area. Otherwise no other holes are visible anyway.

I think "panic stations" set in..........Im also upgrading to a combi boiler which will provide a hotter, live central heating environment.

Thanks for your help once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back