woodworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
and a timber framed house.........is this bad news or can it be treated reasonably easily???

Sponsored Links
That's probably too general a question for any meaningful reply, sorry.
It's on the lines of, 'How long's a piece of string'.
How much have they destroyed and how far into the overall framework is it?
Only option is to get the experts in. :cry:

Woodworm on its own is rarely a major issue. You simply spray the house with a permethrin spay (Screwfix).

The real problem is that wet rot/dry rot and woodworm frequently work together. It's the cellulose loving rot that will destroy the structure of the house. Poke around with a screwdriver and look for shrunken timbers.

joe

sarah8 said:
and a timber framed house.........is this bad news or can it be treated reasonably easily???
Are the ones you're talking about are frame studwork with plasterboards on the inside and brickwork on the outside? I have fitted many of these type and should come with a warranty against rot/woodworm, I can't remember if it's 10 or 20 yrs warranty.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to disagree, but it was a major issue for me on its own when I fell through the mother-in-law's floor into her cellar!
New floorboards and joists needed.
No, it was nothing to do with dry/wet rot.
It was the thousands of tiny holes the swines had feasted on over many years.
If I had a timber-framed house with woodworm, I'd want more reassurance it was safe than a spray or poked screwdriver would give me. Get the experts in.
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back