Woodworm

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started planning my new bathroom and found extensive woodworm holes and damage in the floor under the old hot water tank (now gone).

It seems to have been there for a while as someone has previously nailed a bit of wood to the most damaged beam to support the floorboards.

Is there any way to tell for sure if its still active and what do I need to do for peace of mind?

The most damaged beam

Backside of beam

Shot further down that beam

Next beam along

General area

Edit:
The floorboards above are full of holes and there was a small white carcass stuck to the side of this beam.

Sponsored Links
looks like there has been some sort of treatment sprayed/brushed onto the timbers as there is brown staining??
cant really tell how bad the joist is in the 1st pic with the board pick up?
but as its underneath an old tank,experience suggests there may of been a leak and it may be a touch of old wet rot?

cuprinol 5 star treatment and use a small garden sprayer,for small jobs i use a spray bottle.

Definitely lots of little worm holes in the wood - will the cuprinol kill it off? Looks like the wood in that area has been treated, as you point out its a different colour.

House was built in the 30s so it could be from any time.

put some white paper under the area you think is most infected and give the joist/boards a tap,if you see any frass then it may well be this years infection??
but google 'woodworm'iirc they migrate out of the timber around may to august?? been a long time since i can remember this info.getting old. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Dont want to hijack your thread m0t, but was just about to ask questions about my own woodworm and thought id keep it together.

When we bought the house the home report picked up on it and said not unusual for a house this age , we also had a leak fixed that looked as if it had been botched a few times meaning dampness all watertight now but we want to floor it at some point.

If there is fine wood dust (like flour) chances are it may be active, usually spraying washes any old stuff away.

If there is fine wood dust (like flour) chances are it may be active, usually spraying washes any old stuff away.

ment to add had a good look at it specifically looking for any white seen that somewhere online and couldnt see anything like that , it only appears to be on a couple of beams

Chances are then you are OK, but only way for peace of mind is call a woodworm company for a free survey, however they do have a vested interest in finding stuff to treat :D

Is there any documentation with the house mentioning any treatment usually a fairly long guarantee is given, if so call them back to check most are pretty fair about retreatment under the warrantee.

Chances are then you are OK, but only way for peace of mind is call a woodworm company for a free survey, however they do have a vested interest in finding stuff to treat :D

Is there any documentation with the house mentioning any treatment usually a fairly long guarantee is given, if so call them back to check most are pretty fair about retreatment under the warrantee.

nothing at all dont think any of the previous owners gave a toss about the loft out of sight out of mind! was a dumping ground when we got it and doesnt look as if its got any treatment on it might just give it all a spray myself as the better weather comes in and just keep an eye on it

woodworm likes wood that is not completely dry, so most modern centrally heated houses don't seem to get it.

in the position you mention, I suspect a small, long-term leak made the environment moist enough to encourage them. Make sure it is dry, and then the hot pipes will make the timber even drier so they will not survive.

If there is a lot of damage, you may need to replace or strengthen. A cylinder is very heavy. Spray anyway.

If you vacuum away all dust, then any new frass will be easy to spot.

woodworm likes wood that is not completely dry, so most modern centrally heated houses don't seem to get it.

in the position you mention, I suspect a small, long-term leak made the environment moist enough to encourage them. Make sure it is dry, and then the hot pipes will make the timber even drier so they will not survive.

If there is a lot of damage, you may need to replace or strengthen. A cylinder is very heavy. Spray anyway.

If you vacuum away all dust, then any new frass will be easy to spot.

Thanks for the reply, like i said theres no white power right along the beam at all and its a long beam dont think theres enough to warrant replacing it and im sure the home report would have highlighted this as a major if it was, actually just read up about the cuprinal 5 star and the data sheet doesnt sell it very well, think ill brush some on the infected bits instead of spray (im an ex car spray painter so used to spraying stuff thats pretty harmful ), dont want to kill off the fish or the cats :eek:

oh and just to add john the new boiler pipes are just at the back of it so as you said itll keep it nice and toasty and dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back