Woolly Aphid damage on apple tree

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am used to aphids, and generally spray the garden. I have a smallish apple tree that I have not sprayed for several years, and it was heavily infested with woolly aphid. Many shoots had died and some branches, and the trunk bark was split, and it has some large galls..

I have cut away all the damaged timber, treated with aphid spray and painted the wounds with a waxy water-repellent stain. I inspected it 10 days after treatment, amd found a few remaining patches of wool which I treated with insecticide.

I was surprised to find that woolly aphid attacks the surface of the wood, not the leaves. Is there any persistent or systemic treatment that will prevent them recolonising the tree?

Sponsored Links
Don't know much about creepy crawlies John, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't splashing Cuprinol onto a tree, especially one you eat fruit from. :eek:

not cuprinol

fernce stain is just a waxy emulsion in water with a bit of colouring

That tree has died now :cry:

but I have a small infestation on another apple tree at the other side of the garden.

Any recommended traetments?

Sponsored Links
that is the problem with being dyslexic i do not read things properly :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back