worcester 24i boiler how to relite?

Sponsored Links
The 24i doesn't have a pilot light, but uses electric ignition, so if your boiler isn't firing there can only be a couple of causes...
The first thing to work out is whether or not the necessary spark is occuring. To do this, whip the front off and fire up the boiler while keeping a close look (but not too close!!!) on the two electrodes you will notice in the burner. You should observe a blue spark occuring between the electrodes, coupled with a clicking sound. If the spark is working you have problems with your gas flow, and you'll need to get a CORGI engineer in to look at this.
However, it is more likely that the spark is not occuring - and there are a couple of possible causes. Combi boilers are clever little fellas. They will carry out a few checks before they allow the system to fire up. For example, an air pressure switch will detect the movement of air in the flue. Therefore if the flue is blocked, or the fan is not working, the pressure switch will not be happy, and there will be no ignition spark. The first thing to check then is that the flue is not blocked, and the fan is working fine. Then check that the tubes connecting the flue to the pressure switch are not blocked. If this is all fine then fit a new pressure switch, as these can become dodgy - especially on the 24i. Its only about a tenner, so well worth a shot. Don't get the wrong one though, as this would be bad!! The part number you need for a 24i pressure switch is 87161424140.
Hope this helps, and good luck!!

If you look on the top of the boiler at the left hand side front you will find the overheat re set button, if the center cross has popped up then it has tripped,re set by pressing down, most common cause to trip is lack of system pressure ,should be at one bar ish

Cheers COG, this tip just saved me a call out charge and whatever the hourly rate is currently! Pushed down the button, turned on the tap and "Bingo!" hot water!

Sponsored Links
Cheers COG, this tip just saved me a call out charge and whatever the hourly rate is currently! Pushed down the button, turned on the tap and "Bingo!" hot water!
why did it lose the pressure in the first place ;)

It didn't. It had a brand new overheat reset button which appears to be a little over sensitive.

I guess that reset switch is after you take the front cover off, which you shouldn't really do of you're a novice?

Can't see it in that case. Mines a 24i Junior, about 10 years old.

Thanks

That just dawned on me too about the age of the post, knew it wouldn't be that easy. Have an engineer coming tomorrow but was hoping to get it sorted today.

Think it's something to do with turning a rad back on on Friday. Boiler stop yesterday afternoon after a pressure drop

It was low but I've put it back to circa 1.5 bar. Then discovered it wasn't igniting, which I hadn't noticed before. Heating was working in the morning

Thanks

Start your own post, the site rules prohibit Hi-Jacking old posts for this reason, different boilers and gets confusing, if you want the correct advice start an individual post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back