Worcester 24i Combi leaking Auto Air Vent and damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My other half rents her place out, the managing agent manages it and told her the central heating wasnt working. She was told the air vent was leaking which had caused damage to the air flow switch and fan, they had patched it up and it was now working but needs to have a proper repair and will come back with price.

I'm not expert so just going off what the estate agent has told her, so have a few questions,

1. Would leaking auto air vent damage both the airflow switch and fan, sounds reasonable but want to be sure as they said they managed to patch it up ?
2. Is this likely to be a big repair bill like over £300 if all parts needed ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming you mean the old 24i RSF...grey controls panel.

For some reason the auto air vents often flood the combustion chambers on these models.

However, whenever I've come across this, despite the chamber being several inches deep in water, no serious damage has ever been done. Just replaced the AAV.

I can't really see how the fan could be damaged....they could be trying it on. The air pressure switch could be damaged since water could enter the tubes since they're low down in the chamber. In my experience though, I've normally found the hoses are clear, pulled out the APS and never found them to be full of water.

Just a vessel check and new AAV (£5.00 part) has sorted them.

I can't see how you can "patch up" a problem of this nature other than screwing the AAV cap tight as a temporary measure.

Remember that many gas installers that work for agents are not particulalry good since agents have a reputation for paying peanuts and over-charging the landlords.

I'm assuming you mean the old 24i RSF...grey controls panel.

For some reason the auto air vents often flood the combustion chambers on these models.

However, whenever I've come across this, despite the chamber being several inches deep in water, no serious damage has ever been done. Just replaced the AAV.

I can't really see how the fan could be damaged....they could be trying it on. The air pressure switch could be damaged since water could enter the tubes since they're low down in the chamber. In my experience though, I've normally found the hoses are clear, pulled out the APS and never found them to be full of water.

Just a vessel check and new AAV (£5.00 part) has sorted them.

I can't see how you can "patch up" a problem of this nature other than screwing the AAV cap tight as a temporary measure.

Remember that many gas installers that work for agents are not particulalry good since agents have a reputation for paying peanuts and over-charging the landlords.

Thanks for replying, yes thats the model rsf with the grey bottom bit. Agreed I couldn't understand how they 'patched' it up so it now works if the fan and air flow switch was damaged, apart from as you say they tightened the air vent.

cheers

The auto air vent is mounted on the back of the pump, and it is alost impossible to damage anything above it, I have just replaced a leaking auto vent on a boiler and it was a secondary vent on the condensing chamber at the top of the boiler, and even that didn't do any damage up the top, down the bottom, never!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Gasguru / Petertheplumber12 any of you do work in the Ruislip area ?

If I go with the managing agents people Im tempted just to authorise them to replace the Auto Air vent.

cheers

not usually any pressure and also as soon as it starts to leak the pressure drops anyway. they usually drip, it would have to be ruthlessly ignored as a leak and pressure constantly topped up to too high to make it leak fast, you would almost have to let the filling loop keep filling to maintain the pressure loss.

Peter we're talking about the 24i RSF...the AAV is in the combustion chamber.

AAVs often leak a little but on this model they often leak big time and flood the combustion chamber. If the cap is missing it may well spray the entire chamber with water.

Just ask to talk to the engineer directly and ask them what's wrong with the fan and APS.

Spoke to the plumbing firm involved (not the engineer), apperently the fan was a 'little' rusty from the leaking auto air valve and wanted to replace it just in case ?

I can't look at it myself so having to take there word for it, but considering the auto air value is below the fan how can it get rusty ? May be the leak was evaportating and the steam rusting it ?

If the fan was broken ie not working would the heating not operate ? When we first got the problem the symptoms were the heating would fire / make the riight noises but no hot water or heating.

cheers

I think I will shut up I seem to put my foot in it every time I say something so better ask the others in future,good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back