Worcester 24i Ignition Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a strange problem with my Worcester 24i boiler.

The PCB became faulty and ceased to work. I have fitted a recon unit and where as before I had hot water and heating I only now have hot water.

When turning on a hot tap the boiler ignites with no issues and continues until the tap is closed.

When selecting the heating from either the timer or manually the fan and pump kick in but the gas does not ignite.

All I can hear is a clicking from the ignition switch on the PCB.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Firstly and no disrespect intended , have you checked the leads are all on 2 white leads and the harness can sometimes be a bit dodgy, if all ok then the new pcb might be bust,but check the leads ,is it sparking in the boiler or not,

I have checked all connections and these are.

It is strange that the hot water is fine and CH doesn't work at all.

I thought that the spark came from the same lead for the hot water and the CH?

is it trying to ignite can you see any sparking or a small flame in the boiler when trying c/.h

Sponsored Links
Dhw works so valve, pump, fan, aps and ignition work. Heat call works all the way to fan starting, but no spark. I would say you have tried to save money in the wrong way by getting an uncertified pcb

Was this a factory reconditioned PCB from Worcester?

Tony

No I sourced from an reputable Ebay seller.

No I cannot see a spark or flame.

anyone any ideas? I have a replacement PCB on the way so hopefully the PCB was faulty

To save others the bother the feedback is 99.9% positive from that seller although the products are almost all Suprima boards.

HOWEVER remember that the feedback is left when the part is received! What happens a few weeks later is never recorded !

In this case based on past experience, the PCBs are certainly supplied in working order and I would wonder if you might not have another fault?

I have encountered two 24i s recently with the same fault. They run the pump on CH but never progress further.

I have suspected the anti cycle delay circuit but so far have had insufficient time to check.

Tony

In this case based on past experience, the PCBs are certainly supplied in working order
Surely you wouldn't ever use a patched up board form someone like this?

Anti cycle delay is a new one to me with this boiler can you elaborate more?

It's to stop the boiler coming on if it's only just gone off in the last couple of minutes.
Tony is guessing that there's some circuitry which performs the function, which is pretty unlikely where a processor is involved.

Assuming its Control Board 232 then there is a basic PIC but much of the board function is still analogue.

Since I have had two a few days apart with the same problem it makes me think that a discrete component has failed.

If I had any time I might try to identify the problem.

I would not use repaired boards but that firm has sold over 1100 on ebay and has only one bad feedback which with something as problematic as boiler PCBs is extremely good!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back