Worcester 24i RSF - Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm new here, but i'm seeking a little help regarding my Worcester 24i RSF boiler, the boiler is about 5 years old, and just last night the central heating cut off and there was no hot water ...

The burner will not light everytime now, it may light after 5 attempts and run for 5 minuites or so ... then knock off again,

I have noticed the fan has been making a screaching noise when running, (when buner is lit) and the shaft and the bearing housing of the fan have got very hot whilst running ...

Would the fan been faulty cause the boiler to go into maybe a safe mode and cut off ?

I have found a replacment fan for £80, but dont want to purchase one if its not the problem ...

Many thanks in advance for any help ...

Sponsored Links
It may well be the fan,however it is illegal for you to open the combustion chamber to change parts.

Call an rgi for safetys sake !

Only a novice DIYer, if fan not working sufficiently to operate the air pressure switch, it may well cut out as you say.
Try, with all electrics off to boiler, lubricate the fan bearing with silicon grease. (Don't use wd40 at all). This may work as a temporary measure and prove it's the fan on it's last legs. More's the point, it may well cure it for some time to come.

Ok thanks for that, i was going to call an engineer but just wanted to know wether the fan could be the cause of the fault.

cheers

Sponsored Links
24i is one of the typical cowboy boilers; invariably poorly installed and worse maintained. last one i saw, 1 month old, took me all of 20 seconds to find 2 fails.
could be pcb, fan, aps, flue, wiring

The PCB was replaced about 10months ago,

Fires up when the fan seems to be running ok, but goes out as the fan housing gets hot and gets noisier .. so looking like the fan

Thanks

Just out of interest, does this boiler have a two speed fan with a second 'fan blade' on the same bearing, which cools the fan motor when spinning, like the 26cdi.

No it doesn't, its just one speed ... also the Flu pipe coming out of the top of the boiler itself does get hot ...

Thanks

what was being asked is there a small black plastic fan attached on the end of the fan motor? Often these go brittle and fall off. There should be one on a 24i rsf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back