Worcester 24i :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a well noisy boiler for past 24hrs, so started to strip panels off and investigate. Noise was coming from fan. Well i need a service so i contacted my friendly corgi shop and booked for next Wednesday. Whilst i was on the phone i asked the lady to ask the fitters if it was ok to run the boiler with fan as i had a 3mth old grandasugher in house - she phoned me back later to say yes. Well tonight im now without heating/water - sods law. Can a fan go totally which would cause the boiler now to not ignite or run? If so im thinking of doing a collect and changing it myself. Why do boilers go at the most inconvenient time :(

Sponsored Links
Yes fans can go completely and instantly!

If the fan does not work the air pressure sensor will not activate to let the pcb know that the fan is running so therefore not let the boiler work!

You may be cold but the safety devices are working to make you safe ;)

gas4you said:
Yes fans can go completely and instantly!

If the fan does not work the air pressure sensor will not activate to let the pcb know that the fan is running so therefore not let the boiler work!

You may be cold but the safety devices are working to make you safe ;)

Spent a bit of time looking at the manual and doing some con checks on the electrics - the fan is getting power, so it seems like my safety systems are working like you said. Think i'll do a collect on a fan tomoz as i cant do without the boiler for a week. The corgi man will be here on Wednesday so at least he'll only have the boiler to service.

Just spray the old one with WD40 which will get it going until you can replace it.

Stan

Sponsored Links
If the fan motor has gone no amount of WD40 will help :(
Should really be done by a heating engineer but we are on a Diy site !

Well i replaced the fan and all is great. I stripped the old fan down and there seems to be a bit of play in the bottom bearing next to the impeller. Im going to have another play tomorrow, as you may be right and i could have a spare here;) Noticed that the cnetral heating will only work on constant now, but i think i may know what that is - i tryed to remove the pcb by removing the screws and slightly lifting it. I didnt want too break anything so i screwed it back down. i dont think the heating controller knob is seating in the pcb - the one that controls the summer setting; this was played with when i was fault finding. This is the only thing that i can think off as i had know other probelems before and ive not touched anything else.

maxcars1 said:
Well i replaced the fan and all is great. I stripped the old fan down and there seems to be a bit of play in the bottom bearing next to the impeller. Im going to have another play tomorrow, as you may be right and i could have a spare here;) Noticed that the cnetral heating will only work on constant now, but i think i may know what that is - i tryed to remove the pcb by removing the screws and slightly lifting it. I didnt want too break anything so i screwed it back down. i dont think the heating controller knob is seating in the pcb - the one that controls the summer setting; this was played with when i was fault finding. This is the only thing that i can think off as i had know other probelems before and ive not touched anything else.

:oops: Why do we miss the most simple things " the fascia mounted contoller will require resetting once the mains has been reconnected after long periods" well at least i saved my self a few quid in labour costs :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back