Worcester 280 boiler won't ignite.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem with my 1995 worcester 280 boiler. It some times won't ignite. Seems to be more when I'm running hot water tap. The fan is running as it should and the ignitor is clicking as it should, but no flame, also the gas valve solenoid is clicking so i think this is fine.
It is only doing this sometimes, and up to now seems to be running the heating ok.

It may be a differant problem but also sometimes, it is tripping out on over temp, and i'm having to reset. Flow through the hot water tap seems fine. But am thinking of descaling the water-water H/E at some point.

It's recently had a new fan and new pump fitted. But i've only recently moved into this house so no idea if it's always had these problems.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It could be many things and it's especially difficult when a fault is intermittant. A heating engineer would need to see the fault occur to give a reasonable diagnosis. Also, you could be looking at a gas/combustion related issue and on here no advice will be given for obvious safey concerns. Difficult to answer on a forum.

Sponsored Links
As the OP has not mentioned servicing I expect that he does not get it done!

A proper service will prevent this kind of problem from occuring.

Tony

I've only been in the house 3 weeks, it was rented out before then, with information that it had a service contract, and servicing was carried out annually. I cannot confirm this though, only that it has an up to date gas safe certificate.

How can you be so sure that having it serviced would prevent something failing?
I'm a maintenance engineer in a heavy duty chemical plant and no amount of servicing or preventative maintenance will ensure that devices won't fail. Why do you think aeroplanes have back up systems??

Thanks for your comments though Tony, really helpful.

Kev

Servicing doesn't prevent breakdowns but it may pick something up before you end up with no heating or hot water.

supose that's obvious really!

I'm a maintenance engineer in a heavy duty chemical plant and no amount of servicing or preventative maintenance will ensure that devices won't fail. Why do you think aeroplanes have back up systems??

Kev

I would imagine that in heavy duty chemical plants you have pumps and screw feeds and all sorts of things driven by motors.

That kind of plant often has grease nipples which are regularly given what they need and optical sensor with windows to be cleaned. All this kind of maintenance work ensures the minimum of breakdowns.

Similarly with boilers. Most rented out property only has a safety certificate every year. Many overlooking serious deficiencies!

Tony

Ah ok, i'll clean the flame detector and grease the gas valve. Thanks again tony !! :LOL: Thats what I do in work when the gas burner won't ignite to warm the plant to 600C

Your home boiler does not have optical flame detection! Its electronic using flame rectification.

It is most likely to be a simple fault hence proper servicing would have been likely to have eliminated it but it could also be the gas valve failed.

We cannot give detailed DIY advice on gas work here.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back