Worcester 28si repair or renew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I’ve just had my boiler serviced and there is a sign of leak on the heat exchanger .
The boiler is a Combi Worcester 28 si ,ive had the boiler from new 2003 ,this is the first problem.
Got a few questions
1 . what sort of time to replace primary heat exchanger in this boiler?.
2. How long will I be able to get parts for the boiler?.
3. Would I be better to replace the boiler?.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
After 14 years service its approaching the time where money will probably need spending on it regularly. Is it fully operational at this moment in time and was it so before your service ? Have you been told if the leak is on a union / joint or the hex itself ?

Hi yes it’s still running but had to top it up more once in two weeks lost little pressure , I was shown the greenish water stain on the heat exchanger finns and on cover underneath, It was dry at that moment though. Thanks

Start saving up for a new boiler and see how yours goes in the mean time. Its an expensive job to have the hex supplied and fitted ,on a 14 year old boiler I wouldn't do it.

Sponsored Links
Yes I did a quick google of the heat exchanger part number see it’s plus £250. I guess it’s three hours labour too. It just seems shame to scrap a boiler that’s been so reliable. Thanks

Yeh know what you mean ,but after 14 years next it will be the plate hex or the fan ,then the PCB so on and so on.

I would still class the boiler as reliable durhamplumber as it has not let me down yet.(touchwood).
I was expecting a heat exchanger to wear thin after 14 years as not like old cast iron lumps.would you class your car as unreliable if you had to replace the exhaust or radiator for signs of leaks after 14 years. Anyway thanks for all input.

Worcester have said they will replace the heat exchanger for £275 . Is that a good deal ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back