Worcester Heatslave - whattype of heat eschanger(s)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Is anyone able to confirm the material used for the primary / secondary heat exchangers in a Worcester Greenstar Heatslave 25/32 combi boiler please? (internal version, oil-fired)

I found the following in a Worcester brochure which I **think** answers the question, but I'd feel more comfortable hearing it from a member of this forum than marketing bumph!

"The Greenstar Heatslave floor standing boiler has at least
a 5mm mild steel inner primary heat exchanger surface
and a 3mm outer. This, combined with a stainless steel
secondary heat exchanger"

Incidentally the reason for asking is that we're considering a water-softener (Kinetico 2020c HF) and I believe aluminium heat-exchangers are a no-no.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Sponsored Links
You'll be fine there are not any UK Oil Boilers with Alluminium in them there are some Blue flame oil boilers on the continent but are rare here

Your green star is steel & Stainless - unfortunately plastic as well :cry:

Ah, many thanks!

Your observation about 'plastic' - is that something I should be concerned about with regard to the water softener....?

Thanks again,

Steve

Sponsored Links
The household softened water only contacts the secondary heat exchanger. These are normally stainless steel or copper.

In theory the fill water should be from an unsoftened supply but in practice its unlikely to cause any noticeable problem if softened water was used.

The fear seems to be that if the softener is faulty or badly set up then there may be significant amounts of NaCl which could corrode steel or aluminium components.

Tony

The main thing to watch is the seals on the mains water feed to the secondary heat exchanger. If the softened water is a bit'strong', it can degrade these causing leaks. Fix any signs of seepage immediately.

Whilst chlorine, and perhaps NaCl to a lesser extent, would degrade rubber type seals, I have yet to see any that have failed in the several customers homes where they have fitted a water softener.

The reaction between NaCl and aluminium is however very severe!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back