Advice on new boiler - Vaillant or Worcester-Bosch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new boiler for an open vented system to replace a Viessmann Vitodens 100C. My installer has suggested Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 15RI, although I would probably go for the 18RI. Looking at Vaillant alternatives, I think the ecoTec Plus 418 is the equivalent. But neither have a stainless steel heat exchanger (as the Viessmann does). Aluminium heat exchangers seem to be replacing them now. Is this something to be concerned about?
The W-B is the cheaper of the two (by about £35), has a 79% rating in Which? and is made in the UK. The Vaillant has more information on the control panel (which would be useful), has a 75% rating in Which? and is made in Germany. My installer says there is a 7 year warranty on the W-B, extended to 8 years if I have the W-B equivalent of my Magnaclean fitted for £140. The Vaillant has a warranty of 5 years, extendable to 7 years with an 'advanced installer'.
My tendency is to go for the W-B. I can always clamp temperature gauges on the pipes if I really need to know the temperatures. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Any advice?

Personally I'd say neither - go for an Intergas HRE 18 OV. No worries about the ally heat exchanger then as the waterways are all copper ;) 7 year warranty, 10 years on the heat exchanger, and you're unlikely to need to use it!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back