Worcester 30si (Bubbleing noises in boiler, no CH or DHW)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a problem with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30si, I turned the CH on this morning and noticed a strange noise coming from the boiler, it sounds like bubbleing water/air in the wall mounted boiler whenever the CH is on or I turn the taps on for hot water (The hot water runs cold btw, not even luke warm), but I can hear the boiler firing up. If I leave the heating or hotwater on the Reset button starts to flash red, The presure gauge is reading 1.5 bar (in the green) so I take it there is water and presure in the boiler. I've tried resetting it and isolating it at the mains then turning it back on but the problem persists.

It sounds like air trapped in the boiler itself? Is there a bleed valve where any trapped air can be drained from the boiler?

I've rang the heating engineer who fitted it (who I trust) but he hasn't returned my call yet, my 7 year old son has a cold atm and I'd like to get some heating working asap.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
That is a big coincidence - I was going to post exactly the same question, as this started happening to my WB 30Si last night too!!

The boiler was fitted almost exactly a year ago, by a WB approved installer, so it comes with a 3-year guarantee. My plumber is coming out tomorrow afternoon, so if he fixes it, I'll let you know his findings

I tried pressing various buttons on it and when I turned the "Eco" off the boiler seemed to start up and be working fine again now. Whether it's just conicidence or if it's something to do with the Eco setting I don't know and I'm not going to press anything else untill th house warms up, just incase it breaks again :confused:

The engineers coming out to have a look at it tonight anyway so hopefully it's not going to be anything expensive :)

I've had the heating bloke around and he said it was probably the condensing pipe which leads to the outside drain freezing that caused the problem. And because it thawed out later in the day, the boiler began to work normally. So the condensing pipe is now lagged and hopefully it will prevent it freezing again.

Sponsored Links
I've had the heating bloke around and he said it was probably the condensing pipe which leads to the outside drain freezing that caused the problem. And because it thawed out later in the day, the boiler began to work normally. So the condensing pipe is now lagged and hopefully it will prevent it freezing again.

Yeah, that's what my boiler people said too. After a cold spell, yesterday got warmer and, lo and behold, the boiler started working fine. Seems that if the condensate drain gets blocked, it stops the boiler working somehow. Will have to get the external part of the drain pipe lagged.

A bit ironic that in a really cold spell, when the boiler is needed the most, it is more likely to stop working due to a frozen drain pipe!!

That problem is because your installer is a cowboy!

If he only used a 22 mm pipe outside he MUST lag it !!!

A 32 mm pipe does not need lagging because with that diameter its not expected to freeze if its vertical. If they are near horizontal then they should also be lagged otherwise they can freeze.

Tony

We had the "Frezzing Pipe" problem, Im not convinced as we have a 32mm drain pipe on our Worcester 30si. I think there could be an issue with the water trap not liking the cold. All we do is unscrew the drain pipe from the boiler a little, so as to break the seal. The air that is intrained seems to cause the water trap to realease the water from the boiler and it works fine after that. I though most new boilers didnt drip water out they dump around 100mm at a time periodically, it seems unlikely there should be any water to frezze. Its all a bit conveniant to blame the pipes.

Anyway at least Im not up the ladder every morning now with the kettle praying for a shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back