Worcester 9.24 BF cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all :D

Having a bit of trouble with my boiler, model as above, and would like to pick your brains!

Have searched the forum quite extensively, and although I can find information that is similar, it's just not quite right - so I'm afraid it's a new topic.

Got up this morning and headed straight for the shower; hot tap on ... waited a wee bit for the hot stuff, but nada ... hot tap off. Plenty of water pressure, just no heat. So, outside to the boiler (underneath the stairwell of the upstairs neighbour) to check the pilot light, on occasion it goes out but not too often, especially since I replaced the thermocouple. As I suspected, no pilot, so I lit it without any problems.

Back into the shower but still no hot water, so out to the boiler again and the pilot was out. Lit it again, turned on the hot tap in the kitchen and went out to check the boiler, it was lit - pilot and burner, I waited about 30 seconds and turned the tap off (water wasn't warm), but as I did, I could hear the boiler creaking and groaning. I went out and the noise got louder, more creaking, groaning and contracting metal sounds - I've never heard the boiler make these sounds, even quietly. The noise lasted about 15 - 20 seconds then stopped, abruptly. Both the pilot and burner were out.

Had to get ready for Uni, so hadn't time to try diagnose it better, but have tomorrow off and will be free to try out suggestions or further diagnostics.

I haven't tried the heating for obvious reasons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Great resource by the way, hope I can return the favour of assistance in some way.

Sponsored Links
Slight update:

My brother turned on the heating (after lighting the pilot) and heard the same noise. He didn't use the hot water at all.

Overheating. Pump dead....... or..............

Thanks for the reply.

Just remembered something else now that you mention pump; when the temperature drops the CH kicks in, it did this last night even though the CH was off on the programmer, however, it did mean that I could hear the pump working. There was no pilot ergo no burner, not sure if it just circulates the water to stop it freezing?

Sponsored Links
Ok, some more info.

I decided to give the thing another try. I turned on the programmer (digital programmer remote from the boiler [kitchen wall]) and immediately I heard the pump in the boiler running, the pilot was not lit. It continued to run even though both the CH and HW were set to off.

I tried to light the pilot a few times, holding in the grey button for quite a while on some occasions (20 - 25 secs), and eventually, while I was holding the button, the burner came on (the HW & CH are still set to off and the pump is still running).

Ten seconds later I hear the boiler start to make the noise, so I switched the programmer off completely, the pump stopped, the burner went out and the noise stopped a few seconds later.

When I went out to the boiler I heard water dripping, checked the other side of the wall and saw it was the overflow from the tank, it stopped almost as soon as I looked at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back