Worcester Bosch 24CDi heating not working at low temp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got an intermittent fault on my Worcester Bosch 24CDi combi boiler. If I have the heating dial set to anything lower than 1.5 it fails to ignite and the heating does not work. It tries to fire up but instead it makes a 'pinging' sound. The central heating demand light is on but the flame light does not come on, there's a ping sound, the central heating light goes off then on again and the cycle starts all over again. If I turn the heating up it ignites fine and the heating works, but only on a high setting. It's not all the time however and if the heating has been off for a while (over 48 hours) it seems to work fine the first time the heating gets turned on. The hot water has been working fine all year.

Annoyingly I paid for a call out to British Gas in April to investigate this problem however as it had been milder we had the heating turned off before he got here and when he tried it everything was working fine and he couldn't find any problem with the system. Now it's getting colder we've put the heating back on and the fault is still there. I was wondering if anyone had encountered a similar fault so that if I do call someone out it won't be a waste of money?

I appreciate I'm going to have to call someone out, I wouldn't dare DIY it, but I was just after some professional advice.

Here's hoping!
S.

Sponsored Links
worcester charge a standard £210 for a repair and when you consider your pcb may be faulty (about £120) it may be the best thing! You could put it on contract with wb of bg for about £10-£15 per month. Intermittent faults are the worst!

This is my advice in view of your "i'm going to have to call someone out!" comment. If you don't know a really good heating engineer In your area I would personally go with Worcester! A local guy who doesn't know the boiler well could well charge over £210!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back