worcester bosch 28cdi rsf relief valve leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I am having problem with my 6 year old Worcester 28cdi rsf. the gauge is reading 2.8 bar, and is causing the pressure relief valve to discharge, even when the boiler is not running. I have reset the pressure via the relief valve back to 1.5 bar,but it soon creeps back up again. I don't think it is the diverter valve, as the hot water and the central heating seem to be working normally. Could it be the grey-nob valve next to the bayonet filling key? Or a duff diaphragm in the diverter valve? Any advise would be much appretiated.regards Mike

Sponsored Links
Should'nt release pressure by the PRV unless it is Knac**d, release pressure via integral drain point or from a rad.

OK, do you have a filling loop, if so, disconnect and see if it is constantly flowiing, bare in mind this will have some water in flexi.

the pressure increase is almost certain to be the plate heat exchanger leaking mains water into the heating side.

as clf says you have probably knackered the prv so buy a fit a new one with the heatex.

nickso said:
the pressure increase is almost certain to be the plate heat exchanger leaking mains water into the heating side.

as clf says you have probably knackered the prv so buy a fit a new one with the heatex.

I concurr I do

FWIW

:)

Sponsored Links
Hi Craig
There does not appear to be a filling loop or a flexy hose or even a ball valve on the input side of the boiler. The original installer seams to have done the job " on the cheap" The only way to turn off the system is via the main stop cock in the garden. I initially replaced the pressure relief thinking that it was faulty ,but the new one which has a 3 bar rating leaks from 2.8 bar as well
Mike

gt6mike said:
Hi Craig
There does not appear to be a filling loop or a flexy hose or even a ball valve on the input side of the boiler. The original installer seams to have done the job " on the cheap" The only way to turn off the system is via the main stop cock in the garden. I initially replaced the pressure relief thinking that it was faulty ,but the new one which has a 3 bar rating leaks from 2.8 bar as well
Mike

Not at all

the boiler has an internal filling loop

sheesh stop look for shoddy workmanship when there isnt any

you need a new dhw heat exchanger job done

also it may well leak at 2.8, how accurate do you think the valve and pressure guage actually are :):):)

Mike, must concurr with Corgiman and nickso now, it will be the DHW HE.

Dont like these integral loops, I fit the standard WRAS ones, much easier for the end user :eek:

clf-gas said:

Dont like these integral loops, I fit the standard WRAS ones, much easier for the end user :eek:

cor blimey I could not agree more

have you had trouble with the glowworm cxi ones yet clf??

I hear (from this here site as it happens) that they have modified them

I hate integral loops

:)

integral loops are usually only a pain in the arse because they generally seem to be made of cheap plastic bits that dont cope with 10 years of wear and tear (1 year for the glowworm).

the WB loops always seem to strip the little grey wheel the customer has to use....rendering it useless.

even if the WRAS ones leak through the spindle at least its only a 10 minute job to replace them :D

clf-gas said:

how can you justify this without first isolating the cw supply to the boiler and testing to see if the pressure rises ;)

timmy74 said:
clf-gas said:

how can you justify this without first isolating the cw supply to the boiler and testing to see if the pressure rises ;)

Ok yes, issolate cold feed to boiler, no pressure rise. which is it then Timmy, loop/dhw he.

clf-gas said:
timmy74 said:
clf-gas said:

Ok yes, issolate cold feed to boiler, no pressure rise. which is it then Timmy, loop/dhw he.

possibly both get a RGI in and stop being a skin flint :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ok o k o k isolate both

OK OK I give in thanx to everybody. So the concensus is that it is the plate heat exchanger.Looks like i will have to dig deep then!!
You are right Nickso the spindle on the little grey knob is so weedy that i am reduced to using pliers to turn it now.
Ps. I will turn off the mains to see if there is a pressure rise or if it remains stable.
Cheers everybody. Mike

gt6mike said:
OK OK I give in thanx to everybody. So the concensus is that it is the plate heat exchanger.Looks like i will have to dig deep then!!
You are right Nickso the spindle on the little grey knob is so weedy that i am reduced to using pliers to turn it now.
Ps. I will turn off the mains to see if there is a pressure rise or if it remains stable.
Cheers everybody. Mike

it aint THAT dear

about an hour to change it plus parts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back