Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Cdi System boiler where pump often fails to run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is not uncommon for my boiler to heat, but for the pump in the boiler to not pump water around my system. The thermostat correctly sends signal to the valves (S-system) and to the boiler.

When I have the problem, I’ve found that switching off the boiler for a few seconds, and then switching it on again usually makes it work. When I do this, I can hear (and on the temperature of the water pipes I can feel) that the pump is on. It will run for a few seconds, then switch off for a few seconds, then switch on again. But after a minute (fairly precisely) it switches off.
The boiler will continue to heat until it hits a temperature of around 70-80 degrees and then it stops heating.
I’ve never had the patience to stay around the boiler to be able to tell how long it takes before it will work properly. Maybe somewhere between 15-30 minutes? I really don’t know. I’ve never had a boiler person be able to figure it out, because it has of course never exhibited this behaviour when one has been around.
And I don’t necessarily notice until I take a shower and discover there’s no hot water, or that the radiators aren’t heating.

In short:
The thermostat works
The valves work
The boiler takes the signal to start heating
The pump does work, but it doesn’t always run when the boiler is heating, and when this happens, it seems to require some form of reset before it will run again (and sometimes it needs lots of resets)

What might be the reason(s) for this behaviour?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back