Worcester bosch Greenstar 37cdi losing pressure Sanity check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Over the last couple of days my Worcester bosch Greenstar 37cdi has been losing a lot of pressure. I have been topping it up during the day but it loses all pressure over night.

I searched through previous posts on here and have checked the following as a result.

- No leaks from visible joints and no wet stains on walls/ceilings, but not checked under ground floor which is a suspended floor.

- No sign of water from the Prv overflow outlet.

- Last night I turned off the CH Flow and CH Return valves and turned off the boiler too. Overnight the pressure on the gauge dropped from 1.5 to 1 bar (but not to 0 as it normally does when running normally). Turning the CH Flow and CH Return valves back on and the boiler back on resulted in no change of pressure, staying at 1 bar. Which I think suggests there isnt a leak in the pipework and the problem is within the boiler, does this sound correct? If so, and given no prv overflow water has been detected does this point to a problem with the expansion vessel, as the heat exchanger won't have been operational with the boiler switched off? Is there any other checks I can do and if it is pointing to the expansion tank now, is there anything I can do or is it a job that has to be done by an approved person?

Thanks
Becki

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the heat exchanger has gone.
If the expansion vessel had failed you would be getting water out of the PRV.

RGI job to check and replace.

Sounds like the heat exchanger has gone.
If the expansion vessel had failed you would be getting water out of the PRV.

RGI job to check and replace.

Thank you for replying, so a heat exchanger failure would still have an impact on pressure with the boiler switched off?

Thanks Becki

Hi all, further update, last night I repeated the test of turning the CH flow and return valves off and again turned the boiler off with the on/off button on the front but this time I diverted the condenser outlet into a bucket to see if any water came out with the above valves closed and boiler off and found that after about 5 hours the boiler pressure had dropped from 1.5 to 0 bar, 3 litres of water had been collected in the bucket (inside house so no chance of rain adding to it). On turning the CH flow valve back on the gauge jumped from 0 bar to about 0.4 bar, so again suggesting there isn't a leak in the pipework and the problem is in the boiler?

With this in mind can we can conclude it definitely is the Heat exchanger and if there are more than one can you please confirm which one?

Finally, is it OK to continue to use the boiler as long as I keep the pressure topped up until I can get someone to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Becki

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, so:

- is that the main heat exchanger?

- is it OK to continue to use topping it up until I can get someone to look at it?

- does anything else need replacing at the same time or just theeexchanger?

Thanks
Becki

Ok thanks, so:

- is that the main heat exchanger?

- is it OK to continue to use topping it up until I can get someone to look at it?

- does anything else need replacing at the same time or just theeexchanger?

Thanks
Becki

Yes its the main heat exchanger

Yes you can keep topping it up and using it till its fixed

probably just the heat ex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back