Worcester Bosch not heating water - leaking auto air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24I boiler.

A few weeks ago the water was off because of a major leak in the street. Since then the boiler has not been heating water properly.

When you turn on the hot tap, the actual heater seems to fire but the pump doesn't kick in and you can hear a sort of surging sound like it's trying and then gives up and then tries again.

I tried turning on all the taps to see if air was trapped but that made no difference. What I did notice however was water leaking from a grey screwcap which I believe is a pressure relief valve. I tightened it up and after the boiler made some thudding noises it fired up. I opened the valve and lots of air came out. I repeated several time until no more air came out.

I then turned on the cold tap and straight away the boiler shut down and the water went cold. Turned all the taps off and the hot ones on again and it fired up. Turned the cold tap on and it shut down.

So I went back to the valve and again more air came out but this time everything worked as normal for a few days.
This morning however I am back to cold water and air/water escaping from the valve.

What is the problem here? Is it the black unit attached to the pump that the valve is attached to?

Should the valve cap be fully open or closed? It does seem that either air is getting in (not sure from where or how) and turning on the cold water means the pressure of the water through the boiler drops and isn't high enough for it to keep running.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Edit: I found the service manual and I think what I thought was the PRV is the auto air vent as the PRV is round the back on the RHS.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back