Worcester Combi 24CDi - Pipe on outside of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice please? - We have a Worcester Combi 24CDi boiler which has a round vent thing on the outside and a copper pipe which comes out of the house wall, immediately bends downwards and then bends back in towards to house - don't know the technical term for this, is it some sort of overflow?

Anyway, to cut a long story short someone once upon a time planted some ivy on the wall of the house. Today I realised that the ivy was very close to the round vent, so I tried to cut it down. Eventually, the whole lot, trellis as well, came off the wall. Then I found that the copper pipe had been completely covered by the ivy and it was then I noticed that ivy had grown up the pipe! I've tried to pull it out but to no avail, I am worried it might have grown right up the pipe and into the boiler. Is the boiler safe to use, can I get the ivy out myself - any advice would be very welcome please. Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
When your water gets hot it expands and the pressure increases, this is allowed for by having a expansion vessel. However there is a limit to how high the pressure should be allowed to go. So a 'pressure relief valve' is fitted which will open and allow the excess water out and the valve will close again. Your bit of pipe comes from this valve so 'ivy' is not going to get past the valve to the boiler.
I can't see how it could ever stop water from coming out at 3.5 bar which is about 50 lbs/sq in, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!
No doubt any 'ivy' in the pipe will soon die off.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ok thanks for the explanation sorry to be such an idiot :oops: but you've put my mind at rest. Thanks. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back