Worcester Combi Boiler 28CDI Loss of pressure, now gaining!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! Since Dec 2007 my boiler has been slightly loosing pressure. I know it is supposed to sit at 1.5/1.6. It has been sitting at 1.2 for a couple of months, which is an improvement, as i have regularly been having to re-pressurise it via valve, etc as it kept dropping below 1.

Someone did replace a part in it that was leaking, sorry don't know what it was, it sits in the middle of the boiler though, and cost an arm and half a leg. since that time the shower which runs of it squeaks like a mouse, and the hot water pressure is rubbish, it takes about twenty years to run a bath!!!!! Slight white lie there, but that's how long it feels sometimes!

Panic is now setting in, as I went to put something in the airing cupboard this morning and noticed that the pressure had risen to 2. Nothing was being used in the house, as I was the only one in it!

I have just checked again and now it is at 2.5!

It's gone from low to rather high. I had a shower, and it still sat at 2.5 :( , usually obviously using the shower, tap, etc means the gauge rises and then settles back when not being used.

Any ideas on what this is? Am panicing that the house is going to blow up!

I keep trying to find a gas engineer, but can't get anyone to actually recommend one, and don't like just picking one out of the yellow pages. Actually, anyone in kerrier area of cornwall that could recommend someone, names gratefully received. :confused:

Thanks for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
Would seem the heat exchanger has gone.

A small hole is allowing mains pressure water into your heating system shown as a pressure increase.

As for the pressure drop pre the rise, you'll have a small leak somewhere.

New heat exchanger required.

;)

Hi dont panic it will not blow up if the pressure goes above 3bar then the water will discharge out of the wall to outside assuming the fitted one i have seen them without a blow off pipe to outside
regarding the pressure its possible the plate heat exchanger has got a small pinhole in it caused usally by system not being flushed out on the instalation
The other thing is the expansion bottle has lost its air pressure and now filled with water due to the diaphram being punctured
hope this is of some help
it sounds like the part that was replaced could have been the pressure valve 3 bar

mick

Sponsored Links
should have checked what part was replaced prior to posting really! apparently it was in fact the heat exchange part that was replaced at the beginning of this year.

i kinda knew there was a leak, as the out pipe in the wall goes onto my glass conservatory roof, and every so often there is a bit of water below the pipe, even if it hasn't rained.

thanks guys for replies, as stated if anyone can recommend a gas engineer in the kerrier area of cornwall i'd much appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back