Worcester Greenstar 28i v 35HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone give me some advice please.

We're having a full new central heating system installed (including 7 new rads) for a three bedroom semi.

Some quotes we've had differ by almost £1000 but one of the more reasonable engineers is recommending that we'd be ok with a 28i - most of the others have suggested we go for a 30HE or 35HE. We've been quoted an extra £300 to substitute the 28i for the 35HE.

Any suggestions if we should 'risk' being underpoweredwith the 28i or go for the 35HE - will we notice any difference??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is the 28i a condensing or HE boiler ???

Tony

Higher numbers mean more HW, but if and only if your mains is up to it. How many quoters measured the pressure and flow available?

Sponsored Links
There is a Condensing Greenstar 28i Junior. Check out the Worcester Bosch site for details. Got called to one on Friday. Daft installer had plugged the Exp vessel flexi in a blanked off moulding on the manifold. :rolleyes: Therefore PRV constantly dumping!!

Daft, but why does he need to touch it?

Personally I find 28kw combis adequate, but these days people are more and more expectant. By all accounts 28kw is largely the maximum on continent.

Some idiot seems to have raised British expectations.

I can't see anything wrong with atmospheric pressure if you can manage to store water in a tank a floor above the bathroom. Interesting idea, might eventually catch on.

Personally I find 28kw combis adequate, but these days people are more and more expectant. By all accounts 28kw is largely the maximum on continent.

Some idiot seems to have raised British expectations.

I can't see anything wrong with atmospheric pressure if you can manage to store water in a tank a floor above the bathroom. Interesting idea, might eventually catch on.

ps, had to clean the pilot jet on a Brit II again the other day, must have been out to it twice now in last 10 years, once had to spend a massive fiver on nothing more than a little disk of rubber. What a good job they've largely phased out these expensive to maintain dinasaurs.

pps, if you really musn't have a hot water cylinder, want a tip? get a multipoint and a system boiler. Dismiss me as an eccentric old fart at your peril.

I just had a customer screaming blue murder and I really mean it, because the worcester Buderus engineer couldn't come until today to a 6 month old combi which broke down on Saturday and I couldn't fix it, 'cause it was the brain and when it's under warranty why should I fork out? She was threatening solicitors down the phone at the poor girl trying to book an appointment.

You'll be surprised how many peoiple seem very resonable and delighted at thought of one nice neat little small white box to replace all that old clutter, but they turn into axe murderers when they are without heating and hot water for more than a few hours six months down the line. Trust me.

Paul Barker said:

Because some bright spark at Worcester decided to leave the bl**dy connection to installers and it can be a right pain in the butt sometimes.

The old i Junior was a pain in the ar*e granted. :evil: But, the new one just plugs in. Even my sausage fingers can cope with it. :LOL:

Yes my old boss ex BG 25 years was a Worcester man through and through intil the Junior, then he went over to Baxi 80e/105e. I'm sure that Worcester have ironed out the problems now, just Baxi fell lucky at last, they had to get a turn of the wheel eventually.

Gasman1015 said:
And your hot water requirements are.???

main bathroom upstairs (electric shower - bath used every blue moon) and downstairs kitchen and small cloak room basin.

---
the 28i has been described to me as a condenser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back