Worcester Greenstar 30CDI: Awful groaning sounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

British Gas carried out their annual service check today which included the boiler above (the boiler was not purchased from or installed by BG and is just over one year old).The engineer obviously turned off the supply and the boiler to do his stuff and subsequently confirmed that the boiler was fine.

He then turned the gas back on and reset the boiler.

A few hours later my wife turned the thermostat up as it was getting a bit parky and that obviously started the boiler up again. We then had the flitting between the II symbol and the rising temperature as expected on the display but we also got was a horrible groaning sound which kicked in every few minutes. We waited well beyond the 15 minutes in the brochure and sure enough the boiler temperature display stabilised but the damn groaning continues. Seems to go off about 4 times every 15 minutes or so.

Is this common or some cock up caused by the BG engineer?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the BG engineer has adjusted the combustion settings on the boiler. You will need to get him back!

Sponsored Links
I had the groaning vibration problem when the boiler was on 'low fire' i.e. when the heating is up to temp and the burner has a small flame to keep it topped up. It would also happen if the boiler was re-started and the start up cycle with the trap filling sequence (which is also accompanied with a low fire flame) is in operation. Fearing the worst I called the plumber who just went through basic checks.
First the flue for blockage then the gas pressure at the meter - both ok. Then the gas at the meter with boiler on high fire and other gas appliances on to check for pressure drop - all ok. Gas analysis at low fire - CO2 less than specified so that was increased. Gas analysis at high fire - CO2 slightly less than specified so again an adjustment was made.
That was the end of the problem and its been ok ever since (3 weeks). Cost £30. Time 1 hour. Parts none. Problem, fuel mixture at low fire. If anybody else gets the same problems it might be a good idea if they or their plumber makes the same basic checks before more expensive options are considered.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2689632#2689632#ixzz2M2HA9N90

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back