worcester greenstar boiler leaking from vertical flue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a flat with a worcester greenstar condensing boiler, it has been leaking from the flue pipe since I moved in, (the flat is only 4 years old as is the boiler) british gas have been round several times to deal with it and all they did was insulate the flue pipe (as recommended by worcester) through the flt above & in the roof space, I am desperate to stop this happening & is causing much stress, please help me someone I do not know what to do!!!! :(

Sponsored Links
There can be several causes of apparent leaks. Not always obvious as sometimes its condensation particularly when the boiler or flue is in a kitchen or bathroom which is humid.

Call back BG as they started the job.

Tony

Thanks for your reply, apparently bg state there is no leak as such, that its just condensation coming back down the outside of the flue pipe, they said that lagging the pipes might work, but it hasn't, I just wondered if anyone had heard of any particular faults with these boilers, the boiler is situated in a cupboard, not in the bathroom or kitchen, thanks

Sponsored Links
A surprising number of people consider BG to be the oracle. This is not the case and their huge staff turnover means that even if they were fully trained, few would be around long enough to get a viable experience on the job.

There are of course some good BG engineers around but my insiders tell me that they are in the minority.

It sounds like you have a leak either from a flue joint or the roof. I suggest you wrap some masking tape around the flue as near to the roof tiles as you can, and then remove it after the first bout of rain. If it is damp the flue termination is leaking around the roof tiles, and you need a roofer rather than a heating installer.

Don't leave the tape there indefinitely because it could burn, although this is almost impossible because of the low temperatures involved.

Really appreciate your advice guys, how would I check if the joints in the flue pipe are leaking? would you recommend getting a proper heating engineer involved, the BG man did seem to know what he was talking about but then I'm a woman aren't I what would I know!!!

ps the water only ever drips through the boiler when the heating is turned on, it doesn'tleak when its raining, I really appreciate all your advice x

A surprising number of people consider BG to be the oracle. This is not the case and their huge staff turnover means that even if they were fully trained, few would be around long enough to get a viable experience on the job.

There are of course some good BG engineers around but my insiders tell me that they are in the minority.

It sounds like you have a leak either from a flue joint or the roof. I suggest you wrap some masking tape around the flue as near to the roof tiles as you can, and then remove it after the first bout of rain. If it is damp the flue termination is leaking around the roof tiles, and you need a roofer rather than a heating installer.

Don't leave the tape there indefinitely because it could burn, although this is almost impossible because of the low temperatures involved.

are you listening to yourself? :rolleyes:

Where abouts is the flue pipe leaking....pictures would be good. Have they checked the inner duct is sealed properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back