Worcester Heatslave Combi and Conventional HW Tank Controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a house with a Horstmann Channel Plus Programmer series 1 H21/H27 XL, Worcester Heatslave 20/25 oil fired floor mounted boiler and a conventional two pipe rad system.

The boiler probably replaced a previous unit hence the current mis mash!. There are rads fed from a pumped primary system and there is a separate hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard (AC) serving one of the bathrooms. The second bathroom takes a HW feed from the combi boiler as does the utility and kitchen sinks.

The hot boiler feed runs to the AC where there are two Honeywell 8813 valves that have seen better days (rusty). The heads appear to be removeable from the valve body so I believe they are replaceable. One controls the heating circuit the other the HW tank feed. There is a stat on the tank and the HW does not overheat so I guess (need to test tomorrow) this is shutting off the feed to the remote HW tank when triggered by the stat.

The programmer currently simply controls the Heatslave taking place of the central heating and hot water, or hot water only switch on front of the boiler. I therefore currently have control of the combi boiler but have to turn the heating on in summer to heat up the remote HW tank.

There is also no immersion currently fitted to the tank as an alternative summer option.

I need to replace the HW tank because it is prtobably 10 years old and there are signs of seepage. When I do this I want to sort out the heating controls.

I will fit an immersion but was also considering replacing the electric valve heads and feeding a cable back from the AC to the boiler so I can either use a separate switch or the programmer? to control the central heating valve. I should then be able to shut off the heating circuit in summer and use both hot water systems.

Is this the best solution? I could fit a manual valve but that means pulling more pipes apart and I thought since I have the Honeywell valves I may as well use them?

Can someone help me with a wiring diagram? I have the floor up to sort some problems out there and can easily run the cable from boiler to AC now. Do I need more than 4 core?

Jer05

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back