worcester HF 400 - condemned!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've got a worcester bosch highflow 400 open flue. had loads of problems with it, such as pilot light going out daily.

a local plumber did loads of bits and pieces to it, but eventually gave up and suggested i contact WB direct.

so they came out, looked at it and condemned it as being unsafe! i'm a bit pee'd off as the local guy we had out didnt notice any danger. was the engineer being over cautious. i spoke to a local firm who reckoned that loads of open flue boilers are being condemned, as they are no longer considered safe. the boiler is only 7 years old!!

anyway, been quoted for a highflow 440 at £3300 (boiler and installation). I'm tempted to steer clear of Worcesters now, but the 440 is supposed to be spot on. any views?

Sponsored Links
A plumber who does "loads" and then gives up is obviously not competent! I also wonder if he is CORGI registered.

Why dont you tell us WHY it was condemmed?

Its possible it could be made safe.

Tony

Though I would never install an open flued appliance myself, wb is a top brand and their engineers are very skilled too. As the boiler is only 7 years old, I can only see 2 options. They condemned it because it was installed illegally, or they just made it safe but it can be repaired. Many open flue boilers are dangerous due to lack of maintenance and poor installation. The last one I saw got condemned before I had my pressure gauge out, the owner should count himself lucky to be alive as there was ample proof of co and spillage.

hmm, widespread condemnation of the condemning but neither bothered to ask why it was condemned :rolleyes:

OP, why was the boiler "condemned"? was it ventilation?

BTW the word condemned grates on my mind. it describes nothing about the actual state of the boiler other than the fact it has been chopped for some reason.

Sponsored Links
Most of those I see as having been combemmed are as a result of a lack of ventilation.

Either never there or blocked when the conservatory was built.

However all ventilation issues can usually be resolved easily by fitting whatever is required.

Tony

many apologies, i must be blind as you did ask why it was condemned. :rolleyes:

ventilation is hardly a difficlt thing to sort out in most cases. not surprised that neither of his engineers bothered to sort it though.

Courtesy of Merriam Webster

Main Entry:
con·demn Listen to the pronunciation of condemn
Pronunciation:
\kən-ˈdem\
Function:
transitive verb
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French condempner, from Latin condemnare, from com- + damnare to condemn — more at damn
Date:
14th century

1: to declare to be reprehensible, wrong, or evil usually after weighing evidence and without reservation <a policy widely condemned as racist
>2 a: to pronounce guilty : convict b: sentence, doom <condemn a prisoner to die
>3: to adjudge unfit for use or consumption <condemn an old apartment building
>4: to declare convertible to public use under the right of eminent domain

Was it condemned as in 2b [doom]or as in 3[repairable]?

many thanks for the replies all. sorry for the delay in getting back

in response to questions-

the WB engineer showed me the inside of the combustion chamber. the insulation pads on the side walls of the chamber were black with soot. he reckoned the boiler had been spewing out CO for months.

he lit a smoke pellet and the smoke wasnt been drawn up the flue unless he put the pellet right at the back. he said the flue must be partially blocked. this was the main reason for it being disconnected. he said a new boiler was needed - didnt mention the chance of it being made safe.

the local plumber i had out is corgi reg. the 'loads' of work he did was - changing thermocouple(several times), change limit stat, removed old insulation pads from chamber, put new vents in airing cupboard door(at bottom) and in wall above door.

the floor and roof also had vents. WB engineer said cross ventilation would have occured.

anyway, i went ahead and plumped for the highflow 440. installations in progress now (day one)

Oh dear, basic stuff the local corgi should have found. :(

yeah, thats why i was pee'd off. i think the bloke is retired - but he was recommended by a local installer.

worrying thing is, presumably this bloke can issue safety certificates for landlords etc.

at least he was cheap and only charged me (low)labour and parts. would be even more cheesed off if he charged me £50 plus for every callout

i didnt know WB used their own engineers for servicing/repairs. just presumed i was at the mercy of the yellow pages lucky dip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back