Worcester Highflow 3.5 RSF - won't fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :)

Worcester Highflow 3.5 RSF Gas GC 47 311 40

The boiler problem is this:

The boiler won't fire up it just keeps clicking and trying. The fan works the pilot light is on. It makes no difference turning on and off etc. Very rarely it does fire up and runs properly until it reaches temperature and turns off as it should but then won't start again.

History:

Sometimes in the past I have heard it trying to fire up about 5-6 times before it succeeded.

Any ideas or need more info, please just ask :)

thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
When did you last have it serviced?

Tony

Hi Tony :)

Not had it serviced yet. Been in the house for just over a year. Previous owner had it done and supplied receipt before sale. (so about 1 1/2 years ago)

I have had a similar problem before in my last house. I changed some bits but when I requested an engineer to visit it was just the jet slightly blocked on the pilot light :rolleyes:

The pilot light looks small on this boiler so I took the jet out and cleaned it but no difference.

Hope that helps :)

Richard

The pilot light looks small on this boiler so I took the jet out and cleaned it but no difference.

Richard

No, unfortunately it doesnt !

If there had been any problem with the pilot light then it would not have operated the thermocouple.

Its likely that its associated with the combustion process and safety devices. But on a public forum I cannot give you detailed advice and have to say that you should get a competent CORGI.

I dont expect it be anything very serious.

Tony

Sponsored Links

Richard

No, unfortunately it doesnt !

If there had been any problem with the pilot light then it would not have operated the thermocouple.

Its likely that its associated with the combustion process and safety devices. But on a public forum I cannot give you detailed advice and have to say that you should get a competent CORGI.

I dont expect it be anything very serious.

Tony

Thanks Tony

If I can't fix the problem I usually get Worcester Bosch out. It's about £150 from memory. Often these problem are simple probe / circuit board I paying £100 ish for someone to unscrew the boiler front and simple fit something is excessive. I understand the 'It's the knowing where to hit it with the hammer' you are paying for etc. If I can't fix it I don't mind paying to have it fixed.

Finding competent CORGI people is a task on it's own. On my own house when fitting the Kitchen I had an engineer out to change the gas pipe and attach the new hob. Two simple jobs, that I paid cash for immediately, good bloke and good work. Called him to fix the divert valve on the boiler and 3 calls later and 6 months, no show.

Same problem on my properties. Every year I get the landlord certs done. I have them done all together and take another engineer round and open up the houses etc for him. Then pay him immediately, there and then. Then tenants break a gas fire knob. I know this is an issue because trying to fix / find parts can be time consuming. I ask him just to replace the gas fire with a new one, in an attempt to make the job more attractive. 8 months later! and some strong words we arrange a date for which he does not show up and leaves me at the property waiting for him. He made contact later that day and we got it sorted and paid immediately again. In the 8 months waiting for him to turn up I tried someone else who did not show up at the prearranged time and when I chased him up, I was told "I'm too busy find someone else"

Don't even get me started on the bloke who tried charging me £232 per house for the landlord gas certs, each house only has one or two appliances in. He did not get paid straight away and I told him to send me a reasonable invoice for the work, which he promptly did and then I paid him.

For the other trades I have a team that are reliable. I really struggle for a plumber/CORGI at present.

My point is I like fixing stuff and saving money as I have the spare time to do these things and even though I pay peoples reasonable costs without haggling. I still get very patchy service. So if anyone has help other than 'get a CORGI engineer' I would like to hear it.

Thanks
Richard

Its part of the forum rules that we should not give "inappropriate advice" on DIY gas work..

You have to understand that anyone can read these forums and armed with a few suggestions could do dangerous things which could kill someone.

Most people are afraid of gas explosions. True they kill perhaps 3-4 people each year but the bigger risk is CO poisoning which is unseen and kills about 30 each year. A high proportion of that number result from unsafe gas work or a total lack of maintenance.

Tony

Its part of the forum rules that we should not give "inappropriate advice" on DIY gas work..

You have to understand that anyone can read these forums and armed with a few suggestions could do dangerous things which could kill someone.

Most people are afraid of gas explosions. True they kill perhaps 3-4 people each year but the bigger risk is CO poisoning which is unseen and kills about 30 each year. A high proportion of that number result from unsafe gas work or a total lack of maintenance.

Tony

Hi Tony :)

If someone were to tell me that it was a gas part I would almost certainly leave it to an engineer. What I'm looking for is someone that has experienced this problem and and can say it the 'abc sensor or the large PCB etc. or get your multimeter and test terminal 7 etc. I understand that their problem although the same could be caused by an other alternate failure. On my car recently I changed 2 items suggested to me that did not sort the problem, before the forum I was using found the solution and with Audi labour at £104 p/h and their past performance of trying to charge me £999 for a faulty aircon controller that just needed a .25p light bulb which I fixed in 20mins after reading it on a forum, I still think it was a good deal.

I understand that if you have not experienced that exact problem you would start systematically testing the system that would include gas component areas and as you said that's not for public forums with the current risk adverse society. Although I don't want my neighbour blowing me up either! :eek:

My understanding was that room sealed meant that you are safe form CO although people could copy the info for non room sealed devices.

I have CO detectors alarms in my house and properties, why don't they build them in to appliances? (c) 2009! I will license this to all manufactures then buy myself some Lords to pass a safety bill, that states it has to be maintained with a service once a year from a new professional body called 'SCAM' (Safety Certification Association Mandate) Each Company would need to pay £500 membership per year / per engineer + training + documentation.(*includes free news letter) The consumer would pay a flat £49.00. You can't be too safe now can you! Look out for your local CORGI & SCAM approved engineer, coming to an area near you soon.

Thanks
Richard

Found the fault :) While taking apart some more I noticed arcing on the PCB when it attempted to fire up. I have now repaired and all seems well, fingers crossed.

Richard

If someone were to tell me that it was a gas part I would almost certainly leave it to an engineer

hmmmmmmm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back