Worcester oil boiler (camray utility) - need permanant live?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 17 year old oil boiler which I am getting replaced. The boiler is a heating only boiler in my utility room with the 3 way motorised valve/water cylinder/pump in the airing cupboard and water tank/heating water system tank in the loft (i.e.vented). I have a Honeywell programmer and room stat separate to the boiler.

My question is - my broken boiler just uses a earth, neutral and switched live from the programmer/roomstat, there is no permanent live.

I want to buy a Worcester greenstar camray utility 18/25 and the manual for this boiler shows that the switched live can be connected to the live on the boiler (as with my current boiler) but I thought it may need a permanent live for overrun?

On a different page in the manual it states that "any external device connected to the system must take its power supply from the boiler supply only and must not have a separate supply".

To get a permanent live to the boiler will be a big job.... I am confused by the conflicting info, maybe the statement above is for the system boiler only???

thanks"

Sponsored Links
Do you have a central wiring box somewhere?
(where the wires from timer/programmer, tank stat, room stat, motorised valve all meet.)

Is it near the boiler?

My question is - my broken boiler just uses a earth, neutral and switched live from the programmer/roomstat, there is no permanent live.
Boilers are not generally made like that any more.

Your new boiler will require a permanent power supply, and the pump should be wired directly to the boiler. Inevitably some rewiring will be required.

Sponsored Links
Matt - so the manual is correct, showing only a switched live and not a permanent live?

I have a Drayton wiring centre with all the connections for pump/3 way valve/programmer/roomstat etc in the airing cupboard by the pump/valve etc...

Matt - so the manual is correct, showing only a switched live and not a permanent live?

I have a Drayton wiring centre with all the connections for pump/3 way valve/programmer/roomstat etc in the airing cupboard by the pump/valve etc...

yes it will wire in exactly like the old one
you can connect the pump to the boiler if you wish but no need to in your case as your system appears to be already wired

Matt

Thanks Matt.

I did e-mail Worcester with two (what I thought were) simple questions but they ignored one question and just quoted a couple of lines out the manual with the other, missing the point.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back