work bench advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a good work bench. There are loads out there ranging from cheap as chips to over a 1er.
My usage will be for work around the house and for work on my car (vice grip etc).
Reasons for/against and and links would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not make one yourself.

4 No 4x4 legs, 2 No 2x4 frames, one for the top the other for a lower shelf all bolted together using 10mm rod, penny washers and nuts.
Make shelf and top out of 18mm ply.

Will last for ever.

also seems to imply that a 'cheap as chips' work bench is as good as an expensive one which is why i'm after reasons to shell out, or not the extra cash.

Sponsored Links
A Black + Decker workmate will do a good job - Not a new one . But look @ boot sales for the one with ally X beams in it :idea: The older the better. don`t worry about the state of the top . That can be replaced BUT do make sure it assembles/folds up + back properly . Got a Brand new in box B+D little " hammer" drill for £ 3. :eek: No use to man or beast on hammer - But brilliant for holesaws etc. . No heavier than a modern cordless - Fitted a L-O-N-G flex on it and job`s a good `un . Good stuff is out there ;)

I bought a cheaper version of the workmate. It's like having an extra pair of hands around. It's brilliant.

A Black + Decker workmate will do a good job - Not a new one . But look @ boot sales for the one with ally X beams in it :idea: The older the better. don`t worry about the state of the top . That can be replaced BUT do make sure it assembles/folds up + back properly . Got a Brand new in box B+D little " hammer" drill for £ 3. :eek: No use to man or beast on hammer - But brilliant for holesaws etc. . No heavier than a modern cordless - Fitted a L-O-N-G flex on it and job`s a good `un . Good stuff is out there ;)

you can't go to a car boot sale for a B&W workmate, just the same you cant go looking for a waalpapaering table!!!!

I bought a cheaper version of the workmate. It's like having an extra pair of hands around. It's brilliant.

i agree... get these things on a level surface and they're usually pretty good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back