Purchasing a router table/bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I currently own a McKeller router, and it has been pretty handy so far for putting nice bevelled edges on things and widening the occasional hole.

I'm thinking of making a couple of window frames for internal parts of the house, and I was going to try and put a very acurate and long groove into the battens of timber (for the glass to be housed in), and so I reckon the best way for me to do this would be to invest in some form of bench to seat my router into. I'm also keen to put a nice curved pattern around the visible side of the wood frame, and I thought it would be useful for this purpose to.

So far all my routing has been by hand, which is very shakey, so is the above possibly the right approach for this task, and which bench could you reccomend that would both work with a McKeller router and are good value?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
is your router 1/4 or half inch how many watts output

most moulding has to take place after assembly unless you have gouges and can work to a shoulder
what sort off joins are you planning and what sort off windows are they [sliding sash/storm etc]

I'm not familiar with your router, but it's generally possible to mount a router into a homemade bench with relative ease. You may need to buy or purchase an insert plate, depending on your requirements.

The most simple bench may be made from a sheet of mdf placed across a couple of saw horses. The fence can be any straight length of wood, secured using a couple of clamps. Don't forget to guard the cutter (to protect fingers) and make up some push sticks and a feather board or similar.

I can see where you're going with the idea of battens with a routed groove to hold the glass, but wouldn't it be better to fix the glass in with removable / replaceable wooden beading? It would be much easier to manufacture, fit, and maintain if anything got broken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back