Router, bench and saw advice

Sponsored Links
I'm not being deliberately picky or pedantic - just genuinely curious about
I do use a circular saw, they care the **** out of me! A track saw sounds a better idea!
as I couldn't see what scary difference there is between a track saw and a circular saw.

Should have watched this instead

Another advantage of a plunge/track saw is that you can "safely" make accurate cutouts (for sinks/etc).

When cutting sheet materials, I simply make pencil lines where I want to cut and butt the cutting edge of the track to the pencil line. It really does reduce the likelihood of errors.

If they knew how to make tools, they wouldn't have lost the war. They were pretty good at making profit from tools, which resulted in their downfall.
What a load of xenophobic claptrap. In terms of full-range corded power tools Germany absolutely dominates the quality/trade end of the market with firms including Mafell, Festool, Fein, Metabo and yes, Bosch (blue though, not green). The only tools which can compete are Makita (Japanese), deWalt (American, although much of the design and development is carried out in Germany ) and Milwaukee (who use their sister company, AEG at Winnenden in Germany to develop batteries, cordless tools, etc)

Sponsored Links
Right or wrong i've gone for the entry level Excel plunge saw. I've decided to get the better blade and suggested Makita rubber to improve the performance. As it's compatible with Festool tracks i'll likely go for these if I want to expand my collection, these will be a constant so i'm more likley to upgrade the saw at some point in the future... now to find a router.
Bear in mind that Evolution tracks are a lot cheaper than Festool or Makita tracks and that any saw which can run on a Makita track can run on an Evo track

1/2" will cover more bases. It may cost more but will probably have a 1/4" collet ( It will be heavier though. I have never seen a 1/2" that didn't allow for plunge cut and perhaps a 8mm collet)
A LOT heavier - which means it can't do more delicate tasks sucj as recessing for door hinges

1/2" router is great for bench work. If you are ever going to do fiddly vertical stuff (like hinge cutouts in door frames) they are much easier with a 1/4" or 3/8" router cos smaller and much lighter.
3/8in? They went out with the ark (even Trend more or less stopped selling 3/8in cutters and collets about 10 years back). surely you mean 8mm (or about 5/16in, if you must)

Another advantage of a plunge/track saw is that you can "safely" make accurate cutouts (for sinks/etc).

When cutting sheet materials, I simply make pencil lines where I want to cut and butt the cutting edge of the track to the pencil line. It really does reduce the likelihood of errors.
Although you do need to finish the cuts into the corners with a jigsaw, multitool or heaven forfend a hand saw!{/i}

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back