Advice on best types of joint for fence panel frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I’ve done loads of general woodworking over the years and its usually turned out OK. But its always been quite agricultural (studding in houses, benches for garages, skirting boards that are later filled an painted) – so I’m just not very experienced at nicely-finished work.

I have a chore to do in that I have to remake 5 fence panels – they’re all custom sized (7+-foot so bigger than anything you can buy) and the design needs to match the rest of the estate, so I’m committed in terms of timber size, etc.

I’m all ready to get started and the timber has been ordered, but I thought I’d check on the best way of joining the timbers in the central framework. It may be a silly question, but thought I’d check as I would like it to look good and last.

The frame is a series of right angle joints as well as a couple of mitred peaks. Usually I would just drill a pilot hole, countersink and then use a long screw from one timber into another – but this does mean that the screw is going with the grain in one of the pieces and there is no notched wooden support other than the screw.

If anyone feels like adding a sketch or a link, I’d be very grateful. As well as lots of hand tools, I do have a circular saw and a router so half laps, rabbets and a wide dado joint are doable. I’m particularly interested in the peak where two angled timbers will be joining together – I would normally just cut them to meet and then pop two screws through the peak. I'd ideally like some sort of pocket hole to take the angle into account - I do have a small jig for doing this, but the angle is all wrong.

I've attached a diagram showing the construction. The central frame is made from 95mm x 45mm planed all round, treated redwood. The hit-and-miss cladding covers both sides (apologies for the overhang on the drawing, my IT skills don't let me cut off the edges).

I'm open to suggestions for the four joints - dowels, coach bolts, reinforcing plates, screws, glue, dado, rabbets, lap, etc.

The timber hasn't been cut yet so I can adjust them to suit.

Thank you.

fence 1.JPG fence 2.JPG

Sponsored Links
I've only cut down existing factory made panels.
But don't forget that a decent panel has a top rail that's angled to shed rain.

https://www.oakdalefencing.co.uk/product/6ft-timber-fence-panel-capping-rail/
That's normally nailed on after the panel has been built- maybe a wide version that covers the end grain of the hit and miss?

The manufactured ones have no fancy joints, just whacked together with a nail gun.

ahh - good shout, thank you. I hadn't realised the top rail was slanted. Just checked the neighbours side and the originals were. Have added lengths to the timber order now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back