Trend Router Bits

I must add to this we've all cut nails and or screws.

Firstly I pass all cuts from 4mm deep in 2mm passes it make the bit stay sharper longer as it doesn't struggle through the timber. Unless I am going to do lots of routing I use the £15 bit sets from DIY stores but lots of cuts I purchase bits at £14 a time.

I'm being bitchy now. I HAVEN't so there!!! [DIYnot what's wrong with my third word on this line then that you feel it has to be edited out? surely you're not that prudish! ]

What I did do was find out the hard way if you try making a cut with the blade to the left side of the timber the blade snatches it drags it between the cutter and fence and bends the hell out of the bit apart from a] making one jump and run for cover and b] the wood riping bits of skin off you fingers. I've now learnt to do all cuts with the blade to the right side of the timber. I've been routing for ages and first time I did it. We all make mistakes when we don't read instructions. What a a senile git I am

Sponsored Links
It seems ages ago that I wrote the start of this thread but for various reasons I've been able to do any woodwork for weeks. I promised I'd report on the replacement bits.

Last weekend, however, I managed a few hours in the workshop and tried out the new Kennedy cutters, previously mentioned. What a difference - no problems cutting a 1/4" slot, 1/4" deep in a single pass at 1/2" / second, nice clean edges and no noticeable wear on the bit after a couple of dozen passes.

I can only surmise that the Trend bits were of faulty manufacture. I'll send the remains of the last one back and see what they say.

PTH said:
I can only surmise that the Trend bits were of faulty manufacture. I'll send the remains of the last one back and see what they say.
I doubt if they'll be able to fix them back together for you. :(

just found this site - very good it is too :D
regarding trend router bits , where i work we sell about £25,000 worth of trend bits a year and at the most i get 3 (yes THREE ) cutters back per year
I think you will find that trend do do some cheap(ish) sets that i think are sourced from the far east and are not the quality of the red or geen ranges - you do get what you pay for !! Saying that i am suprised that they broke so quickly (only sold one of those sets in 3 years so not had much experience of them)

Sponsored Links
HIGH said:
Not happy at all not sure whats happening with Trend I wonder like so many companies if they are probably buying in from the far east.
I believe that the Professional range is sourced from Israel - Trend's catalogue is almost identical to the Amana catalogue in America. For kitchen work I'd seriously suggest that you buy a TC replaceable tip cuter susch as Titman or KWO (from Wealden) - the cost of the tool here isn't the issue, it's the cost and ease of availability of the replacement tips - so forget about Freud or CMT as the tips are overpriced and not readily available. Nice thing about Titman is that they still manufacture here in the UK.

My main complaint about Trend is that they are expensive in comparison to other trade suppliers.

As to cutting depths, the only thing I know from experience is to cut no deeper than the diameter of the cutter if the cutter is above 5mm in diameter and to make very shallow passes with smaller stuff. I've experienced problems with small diameter large shank cutters and I've stopped using cutters where the cutting diameter is less than the shank, except for very small diameter cutters for the same reason - too many breakages. That experience is repeated over hand routers, pin routers and our CNC and dosn't appear to be confined to make.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back