Router bit bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just recently got into using my router. It's only a 1/4" Ferm, but after setting up a task with the depth stops and using a straight edge to guide the router I am impressed at what routers do!

I have noticed that many of my bits (I bought a set and a few extra ones too!) have a wheel at the bottom. I understand this is a bearing, but what is it there for? On special router tables does it slot into some special groove?

Sponsored Links
The bearing will guide the cuter along the edge of your wood, preventing the cutter from being pushed into the work to far.

as hitachimad says the bearing follows the edge of the wood wether in a table or hand held router by varing the size of the bearing you can for example increase you rebate or decrease dependant on bearing
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=42521&id=13631
if you use an alternative bearing avalable in sets or individualy you can reduce to about a 1.6 rebate wide up to a max of about 4mm less than half the diameter[32mm =about 12mm]
depth adjusted by lowering or raising the router on the base
by using the depth stop you can plunge to the required depth then lock off the plunge mechanism
you can also alter a roundover bit to give you a querk [a step off about 1.6mm]
bearings are the alternative to a fence or strait edge for guiding the cutter

Also v. useful when working on curved edges eg. table tops.

Sponsored Links
That makes sense!

Hopefully I will get the 1/2" 110V one I've hired for the weekend... the guy at the tool hire place says people keep on breaking the worktop-cutting jigs by routing into them :rolleyes:

adam if your just getting used to a router i suggest you practise and practise and practise and oooo did i suggest practice before going anywhere near a work top
assuming thats what youve got in mind
cut off the majority with a circular saw a jig saw a hand saw what ever and finnish with the router
you will need a new cutter per joint several passes 1mm off line and a last pass on line full depth one pass of the cutter

get back if you need anymore help ;)

He shouldn't go anywhere near a worktop with that 1/4" router BA.
He needs a 1/2" one to take the worktop cutters.

As BA said, practice, practice and more practice.
The router is the most versatile tool going and noone is ever likely to use it in all the ways possible because there will always be other things it is able to do.

your right of course dewy you can only get worktop bits for half inch ;)
it was just his other thread about cutting his worktops came to mind
the fact he had said quarter had got lost within my twoi brain cells

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back