router speeds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is it best to try and get a variable speed router over a fixed speed? The reason I ask is the bosch palm router runs at a fixed 33.000. Given that it is a 1/4" router with small router bits, is that quite a bit of speed to get to grips with? And what about router bit life? or burning wood?

Sponsored Links
on my main 1 i use it has 6 speeds,i can honestly say i have never ever used them,i have it set to no 6 all the time.
personally you dont want to be trying to router say hardwood on a slow setting as the blade will be struggling to cut the timber and this will then shorten the life of the cutter.
think like this,the quicker the blade is spinning the cleaner the cut will be.

officially its hardwood slow speed slow feed rate
but the actual reduction in speed between all settings is only about 30% -40% reduction
and not over the whole speed range as you may assume

i personally wouldnt worry about the speed as your very unlikely to push to fast as a novice

thanks guys, I'm still without a router with so many pros and cons! The bosch palm router is still possible. The basic doesn't have a plunge but perhaps I can get by without one for now.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, I'm still without a router with so many pros and cons! The bosch palm router is still possible. The basic doesn't have a plunge but perhaps I can get by without one for now.

plunge is handy but not essential
i have hardly used the plunge on any off my routers perhaps 1 or 2% off the time
you need to be doing captive routering like a slot or channel but never with a cutter with a roller bearing fitted

i have a sign writing set where you router out the numbers and letters this is designed for plunging but i tip the router in as its easier and quicker but could go very wrong if your not carefull :D

ooo a sign writing kit,mmmm me thinks that might JUST have to be added to my collection.
i can think of a few jobs id like to do with this kit. :)

was it expensive BIGGY? or a ebay steal? ;)

Well the deed is done and I bought the bosch palm router. In use it seems straight forward. The motor does run at a fair whack but I'm getting used to it after a couple of tries. I'm using it on a large kitchen shelf I am putting together. I have put a nice edge around the top of the unit. I've rebated the back of it. And I'm putting an edge on the sides.

I've also got and used a dowel jig. I used it on a smaller kitchen shelf unit I made. But I don't think I can use the method on the larger unit as my measurements and square edges are hit and miss so screws will be better for me to draw the pieces together.

I think I might try and make a dado jig for the router for the shelves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back